java-code ... how 'matching' are 2 strings ?

pet0etie

hi,

a long time ago there was a thread here about some java-code that expressed
'how much' 2 strings where equal to eachother

let's say you have string "abba" and string "abbc" then they were
"1-matching" beause you had to change one letter to become the second string

the strings "aba" and "aba" were 0-matching
the strings "aba" and "abaa" were 1-matching
the strings "aba" and "c" were 3-matching

however ... i'm not really sure about the "integer"-result
i thought the result was referred to the length of the strings too

does anyone knows which function this is and where i can find it back ?
at this point of develloping the code seems to be very helpful to me

thanx to anyone who points me in the right direction
pet0etie