Java-COM bridge the other way?

aaronfude

Hi,

Is it possible to use Java to _create_ a COM object? (Or, potentially,
to create C++ code that can be compiled into a COM object?)
Thanks!

Aaron Fude

aaronfude

Is this new functionality. From their description, you wouldn't think
so:

JACOB is a JAVA-COM Bridge that allows you to call COM Automation
components from Java. It uses JNI to make native calls into the COM and
Win32 libraries.

It says "call". Are you sure it can "create"?

Basically, will it allow someone who doesn't know C++ build an Excel
addin?

SPG

Ah.. sorry, I thought you meant use COM components within java.
This will allow you to create for example an Excel object and manipulate it
in java.
I don't think this works the other way around I am afraid.

Why not have a look at .NET (C#), it is spookily similar to JAVA
structure-wise and has hooks into Excel etc for you to make addins

Steve

aaronfude

You are probably right that that is what I should do.

I'm basically trying to use as few MS products as possible, but of
course, Excel does not have an equal.

Also trying to avoid the .net and com+ learning curve. I have not been
able to find a working example that would be a good starting point.
Aaron

Frank Plassmeier

Hello Aaaron,

Hi,

Is it possible to use Java to _create_ a COM object? (Or, potentially,
to create C++ code that can be compiled into a COM object?)
Thanks!

Check if

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/beans/axbridge/developerguide/index.html

meets your requirements.

The Java part is already bundled with the standard JDK/JRE & Java
Plugin, but an MS Visual C++ compiler is also required (for dll
generation I assume).
Aaron Fude

Kind regards,
Frank Plassmeier