    Thanks!

    Aaron Fude

    , Jan 7, 2005

  2. Davide Consonni, Jan 7, 2005

    to avoid dealing with messy MS programming.

    , Jan 7, 2005
  4. SPG Guest

    JACOB can to do this..

    http://danadler.com/jacob/

    SPG, Jan 7, 2005

    Is this new functionality. From their description, you wouldn't think
    so:

    JACOB is a JAVA-COM Bridge that allows you to call COM Automation
    components from Java. It uses JNI to make native calls into the COM and
    Win32 libraries.

    It says "call". Are you sure it can "create"?

    Basically, will it allow someone who doesn't know C++ build an Excel
    addin?

    , Jan 7, 2005
  6. SPG Guest

    Ah.. sorry, I thought you meant use COM components within java.
    This will allow you to create for example an Excel object and manipulate it
    in java.
    I don't think this works the other way around I am afraid.

    Why not have a look at .NET (C#), it is spookily similar to JAVA
    structure-wise and has hooks into Excel etc for you to make addins

    Steve

    SPG, Jan 7, 2005

    You are probably right that that is what I should do.

    I'm basically trying to use as few MS products as possible, but of
    course, Excel does not have an equal.

    Also trying to avoid the .net and com+ learning curve. I have not been
    able to find a working example that would be a good starting point.
    Aaron

    , Jan 7, 2005
  8. Hello Aaaron,

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to use Java to _create_ a COM object? (Or, potentially,
    > to create C++ code that can be compiled into a COM object?)
    > Thanks!

    Check if

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/beans/axbridge/developerguide/index.html

    meets your requirements.

    The Java part is already bundled with the standard JDK/JRE & Java
    Plugin, but an MS Visual C++ compiler is also required (for dll
    generation I assume).

    > Aaron Fude

    Kind regards,
    Frank Plassmeier