Java Comm API, 50% CPU Usage, Serial Port I/O

Greg Pedder

Hello. I have an application that uses the Java Communications API to use a
modem. At startup,
the application checks to see what serial devices are connected. For each
serial device, the app
tries to write some "AT" commands to make sure it gets back "OK" from the
modem. At this point
all the ports are closed and the application goes into a serversocket accept
blocking call and waits
for any connections.

At this point, the application is not doing anything, no other threads
running. It's just sitting on the
blocking accept call. I check the CPU usage on the Solaris sever and it
shows this application
running at 50% CPU usage.

Very strange. I think it has something to do with the Java Communications
API, but I can't confirm
that. The server is a Sunfire 280 with 2 processors running JDK1.4. Has
anyone else seen these
CPU jumps by Java Comm API (SerialPort)? Thanks...