Java Comm API, 50% CPU Usage, Serial Port I/O

Discussion in 'Java' started by Greg Pedder, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. Greg Pedder

    Greg Pedder Guest

    Hello. I have an application that uses the Java Communications API to use a
    modem. At startup,
    the application checks to see what serial devices are connected. For each
    serial device, the app
    tries to write some "AT" commands to make sure it gets back "OK" from the
    modem. At this point
    all the ports are closed and the application goes into a serversocket accept
    blocking call and waits
    for any connections.

    At this point, the application is not doing anything, no other threads
    running. It's just sitting on the
    blocking accept call. I check the CPU usage on the Solaris sever and it
    shows this application
    running at 50% CPU usage.

    Very strange. I think it has something to do with the Java Communications
    API, but I can't confirm
    that. The server is a Sunfire 280 with 2 processors running JDK1.4. Has
    anyone else seen these
    CPU jumps by Java Comm API (SerialPort)? Thanks...

    Greg Pedder, Feb 8, 2004