java compiler in JVM

Wats

Does anybody know of a java compiler that runs inside the JVM. I want to be
able to compile java source code on the fly without going to the system to
compile.

Thanks...

Peter Ashford

Miguel said:
to be

Sweet...

Isn't it just? I've wanted to have a good reason to play with that kind
of functionality for a while, but I haven't really got a good one yet :eek:)

Peter.

Miguel De Anda

Peter Ashford said:
Isn't it just? I've wanted to have a good reason to play with that kind
of functionality for a while, but I haven't really got a good one yet :eek:)

Peter.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of scripting engine... I don't
know what I would want one for (just yet).... oooh... I got it... How about
like in some kind of text editor... like M$ word/excel/etc does with VBA. It
would be neat to allow custom "wizards" along with a template... I guess I'm
going to have to write a text editor now... damn.

Roedy Green

a project that could make use of online conciliations is a
spreadsheet. You generate the byte code or Java to compute the sheet,
using many threads. It would be far faster than interpreted Excel.
Even faster if you ran the sheet on a server with multicpus and just
posted the results back. The Athena project was almost there when it
ran out of money to further development.

see http://mindprod.com/projspreadsheet.html

Another similar project would be a regex engine where you generate
code for the regex on the fly, either is byte code or in Java and
compile it.

http://mindprod.com/projregexcomposer.html
http://mindprod.com/projregexproofreader.html