Java compilers on the Mac

steve

This month's MacCompanion does a review of Java compilers from a Mac
perspective:

http://www.maccompanion.com/archives/April2006/Columns/AccordingtoHoyle.htm

Last I heard, JBuilder was the dominant one on Mac OS X, but according
to this article, that's no longer true. Anyone else have an idea what
the state of Java is on the Mac these days?

very good.
Check out JDeveloper from oracle, it is FREE, as in FREE.
Excellent Graphical debugging , clearly shows the callouts graphically.

built in SQL, S.O.A.P etc

jean-yves herve

very good.
Check out JDeveloper from oracle, it is FREE, as in FREE.
Excellent Graphical debugging , clearly shows the callouts graphically.

I am sure it's great for all the things that you mention.
Unfortunately, it is yet-another MDI IDE. It's really sad that the only
way to avoid MDI these days is either to use XCode or to go back to
Emacs and make files, the way our grandparents did their programming.

jyh.

jean-yves herve' /\
Department of Computer Science \/ e-mail --> (e-mail address removed)
and Statistics /\
University of Rhode Island \/ Tel. --> (401) 874-4400
Kingston, RI 02881-0816 /\ Fax. --> (401) 874-4617
USA \/

Math1723

Try SunOne.  It's great.  And free.

But does it run on the Mac? Do you have a link for me to download.
When I went to Sun's site, it appears to be Windows only.

I expect Java to be cross-platform, and that includes the compiler and
IDE's themselves. A Java IDE which is Windows-only would *definitely*
make me write it off as unacceptable. C'mon people, it's Java. These
should be the *first* things that are supported on alternative
platforms.

Stefan Arentz

Math1723 said:
But does it run on the Mac? Do you have a link for me to download.
When I went to Sun's site, it appears to be Windows only.

I expect Java to be cross-platform, and that includes the compiler and
IDE's themselves. A Java IDE which is Windows-only would *definitely*
make me write it off as unacceptable. C'mon people, it's Java. These
should be the *first* things that are supported on alternative
platforms.

IDEA ... http://www.jetbrains.com ... not free, but the best :)

S.

Math1723

IDEA ... http://www.jetbrains.com ... not free, but the best :)

That is in fact what the article concludes. IDEA seems to be getting
all the glowing reviews. For free Java IDE's though, the article
recommends Eclipse.

steve

This article is actually reviewing Java IDEs, not compilers. A Java
compiler would be, for example, /usr/bin/javac -- a program that takes
Java source code and generates Java bytecode or some other form of
object code.

-- Chris

toddle over to oracle's web site & down load Jdeveloper 10I (yes it works on
osx)

steve

I am sure it's great for all the things that you mention.
Unfortunately, it is yet-another MDI IDE. It's really sad that the only
way to avoid MDI these days is either to use XCode or to go back to
Emacs and make files, the way our grandparents did their programming.

jyh.

that was not his question, he was asking about the state of development on
the mac.

We could all ramble on about:
How we used to program univac's using punched tape and card stacks
or how our old PDP11 could not cut it with 4kb of memory,
or how it's old brother was used as a doorstop-
or how finding a broken core memory with a magnifying class could take
several days .

but it ain't relevant to the topic.

Roedy Green

That is in fact what the article concludes. IDEA seems to be getting
all the glowing reviews. For free Java IDE's though, the article
recommends Eclipse.

I have both and dropped Eclipse. However, IDEA has one two big
drawbacks. It takes very long time to start and chews up so many
resources when it is running it is hard to do anything else, so I
don't just leave it running all the time.

Money has been so tight I have not been able to double my RAM to 1 GIG
which I suspect might fix the problem.

Scott Ellsworth

steve <[email protected]> said:
that was not his question, he was asking about the state of development on
the mac.

It is quite relevant, given that a poor UI is going to make an IDE less
useful. For a Mac user, an MDI UI is going to be more galling than for
someone in the Windows space, as it is more common in the Windows world
(vis Visual Studio).

I know more than one Mac developer who hates MDI interfaces enough to
find IDEA, Eclipse, and JDeveloper almost unusuable. Despite being
behind in refactoring features, Xcode lets you use separate windows for
each document. (I, personally, dislike MDI layouts, but not so much
that I would switch away from IDEA.)

That said, I find Xcode only middlin (IMO) as a Java IDE. For me, the
feature set ofEclipse and IDEA make them preferable. I really wish
there were a way to open multiple editor windows in IDEA.

As far as Emacs and Make, I know a lot of developers that use an IDE
like Eclipse to do refactoring, an editor like BBEdit for code entry,
and ant for builds. Especially if the ant build is then callable from
your editor or IDE, you can get a lot done that way.

Scott

Roedy Green

I know more than one Mac developer who hates MDI interfaces enough to
find IDEA, Eclipse, and JDeveloper almost unusuable. Despite being
behind in refactoring features, Xcode lets you use separate windows for
each document. (I, personally, dislike MDI layouts, but not so much
that I would switch away from IDEA.)

With Idea, if you want to compare code from two different sources, is
there any slick way to do it, or do you need two giant windows you
must resize and position to make it possible, trimming off each as
much fat as possible.

This is so easy in SlickEdit, also getting it to find differences.

Stefan Arentz

Roedy Green said:
With Idea, if you want to compare code from two different sources, is
there any slick way to do it, or do you need two giant windows you
must resize and position to make it possible, trimming off each as
much fat as possible.

Idea has an excellent diff. And I think you can also open sources in new
seperate windows since 5.0 or so. Eval is free. Check it out :)

S.

steve

With Idea, if you want to compare code from two different sources, is
there any slick way to do it, or do you need two giant windows you
must resize and position to make it possible, trimming off each as
much fat as possible.

This is so easy in SlickEdit, also getting it to find differences.

Jdeveloper has a system that automatically identifies missing / added code,
(As it keeps a history of every change made to a file)
Then makes it Graphically available. It has saved my life on more than a few
occasions.

However we all know that there is no such thing as a perfect IDE

steve

Idea has an excellent diff. And I think you can also open sources in new
seperate windows since 5.0 or so. Eval is free. Check it out :)

S.

That is not good , it is frightening, and even more so that you have to pay
money for it.
see the attached screen. ( the difference is that Jdeveloper is free)

titogeo

hi,
i am a freelance java programmer. i am looking for one who will help me
to test a java application in Mac. if any one is intrested i will send
a Jar file. what i want is some screen shorts of that applications gui.

please send a mail to the following address.
(e-mail address removed)

Tito George

Dave Cook

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.programmer.tools.]
Last I heard, JBuilder was the dominant one on Mac OS X, but according
to this article, that's no longer true. Anyone else have an idea what
the state of Java is on the Mac these days?

I like Netbeans 5, which has an excellent GUI builder, and you can't beat
the price. It runs fairly well on my Powerbook G4, but I have to admit that
I usually run it on my amd64 Linux box and use it on the Powerbook using
Apple's X11 server. On a gigabit ethernet connection, it's actually faster
that way. I suggest poking around on planetnetbeans.org for tips and demos.
With only a couple of weeks of usage, I was suprised how productive I could
be with such a clunky programming language.

Dave Cook