Java compilers on the Mac

Discussion in 'Java' started by Math1723, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. Math1723

    Math1723 Guest

    Math1723, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Math1723

    steve Guest

    On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 01:46:22 +0800, Math1723 wrote
    (in article <>):

    > This month's MacCompanion does a review of Java compilers from a Mac
    > perspective:
    >
    > http://www.maccompanion.com/archives/April2006/Columns/AccordingtoHoyle.htm
    >
    > Last I heard, JBuilder was the dominant one on Mac OS X, but according
    > to this article, that's no longer true. Anyone else have an idea what
    > the state of Java is on the Mac these days?

    very good.
    Check out JDeveloper from oracle, it is FREE, as in FREE.
    Excellent Graphical debugging , clearly shows the callouts graphically.

    built in SQL, S.O.A.P etc

    steve, Apr 1, 2006

  3. In article <>, steve <> wrote:

    > very good.
    > Check out JDeveloper from oracle, it is FREE, as in FREE.
    > Excellent Graphical debugging , clearly shows the callouts graphically.

    I am sure it's great for all the things that you mention.
    Unfortunately, it is yet-another MDI IDE. It's really sad that the only
    way to avoid MDI these days is either to use XCode or to go back to
    Emacs and make files, the way our grandparents did their programming.

    jyh.

    jean-yves herve' /\
    Department of Computer Science \/ e-mail -->
    and Statistics /\
    University of Rhode Island \/ Tel. --> (401) 874-4400
    Kingston, RI 02881-0816 /\ Fax. --> (401) 874-4617
    USA \/

    jean-yves herve, Apr 3, 2006
  4. Math1723

    Chris Hanson Guest

    Java IDEs on the Mac (was Re: Java compilers on the Mac)

    On 2006-04-01 09:46:22 -0800, "Math1723" <> said:

    > This month's MacCompanion does a review of Java compilers from a Mac
    > perspective:
    >
    > http://www.maccompanion.com/archives/April2006/Columns/AccordingtoHoyle.htm

    This article is actually reviewing Java IDEs, not compilers. A Java
    compiler would be, for example, /usr/bin/javac -- a program that takes
    Java source code and generates Java bytecode or some other form of
    object code.

    -- Chris

    Chris Hanson, Apr 3, 2006
  5. Math1723

    Guest

    Re: Java IDEs on the Mac (was Re: Java compilers on the Mac)

    Try SunOne. It's great. And free

    --
    Robert Pearson
    ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

    , Apr 3, 2006
  6. Math1723

    Math1723 Guest

    Re: Java IDEs on the Mac (was Re: Java compilers on the Mac)

    >> Try SunOne.  It's great.  And free.

    But does it run on the Mac? Do you have a link for me to download.
    When I went to Sun's site, it appears to be Windows only.

    I expect Java to be cross-platform, and that includes the compiler and
    IDE's themselves. A Java IDE which is Windows-only would *definitely*
    make me write it off as unacceptable. C'mon people, it's Java. These
    should be the *first* things that are supported on alternative
    platforms.

    Math1723, Apr 3, 2006
  7. Re: Java IDEs on the Mac (was Re: Java compilers on the Mac)

    "Math1723" <> writes:

    > >> Try SunOne.  It's great.  And free.

    > But does it run on the Mac? Do you have a link for me to download.
    > When I went to Sun's site, it appears to be Windows only.
    >
    > I expect Java to be cross-platform, and that includes the compiler and
    > IDE's themselves. A Java IDE which is Windows-only would *definitely*
    > make me write it off as unacceptable. C'mon people, it's Java. These
    > should be the *first* things that are supported on alternative
    > platforms.

    IDEA ... http://www.jetbrains.com ... not free, but the best :)

    S.

    Stefan Arentz, Apr 3, 2006
  8. Math1723

    Math1723 Guest

    Re: Java IDEs on the Mac (was Re: Java compilers on the Mac)

    >> IDEA ... http://www.jetbrains.com ... not free, but the best :)

    That is in fact what the article concludes. IDEA seems to be getting
    all the glowing reviews. For free Java IDE's though, the article
    recommends Eclipse.

    Math1723, Apr 3, 2006
  9. Math1723

    steve Guest

    Re: Java IDEs on the Mac (was Re: Java compilers on the Mac)

    On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 14:29:24 +0800, Chris Hanson wrote
    (in article <2006040223292416807-cmh@maccom>):

    > On 2006-04-01 09:46:22 -0800, "Math1723" <> said:
    >
    >> This month's MacCompanion does a review of Java compilers from a Mac
    >> perspective:
    >>
    >> http://www.maccompanion.com/archives/April2006/Columns/AccordingtoHoyle.htm

    > This article is actually reviewing Java IDEs, not compilers. A Java
    > compiler would be, for example, /usr/bin/javac -- a program that takes
    > Java source code and generates Java bytecode or some other form of
    > object code.
    >
    > -- Chris

    toddle over to oracle's web site & down load Jdeveloper 10I (yes it works on
    osx)

    steve, Apr 3, 2006
  10. Math1723

    steve Guest

    On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:14:23 +0800, jean-yves herve wrote
    (in article <>):

    > In article <>, steve <> wrote:
    >
    >> very good.
    >> Check out JDeveloper from oracle, it is FREE, as in FREE.
    >> Excellent Graphical debugging , clearly shows the callouts graphically.

    > I am sure it's great for all the things that you mention.
    > Unfortunately, it is yet-another MDI IDE. It's really sad that the only
    > way to avoid MDI these days is either to use XCode or to go back to
    > Emacs and make files, the way our grandparents did their programming.
    >
    > jyh.

    that was not his question, he was asking about the state of development on
    the mac.

    We could all ramble on about:
    How we used to program univac's using punched tape and card stacks
    or how our old PDP11 could not cut it with 4kb of memory,
    or how it's old brother was used as a doorstop-
    or how finding a broken core memory with a magnifying class could take
    several days .

    but it ain't relevant to the topic.

    steve, Apr 3, 2006
  11. Math1723

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: Java IDEs on the Mac (was Re: Java compilers on the Mac)

    On 3 Apr 2006 14:15:14 -0700, "Math1723" <> wrote,

    >That is in fact what the article concludes. IDEA seems to be getting
    >all the glowing reviews. For free Java IDE's though, the article
    >recommends Eclipse.

    I have both and dropped Eclipse. However, IDEA has one two big
    drawbacks. It takes very long time to start and chews up so many
    resources when it is running it is hard to do anything else, so I
    don't just leave it running all the time.

    Money has been so tight I have not been able to double my RAM to 1 GIG
    which I suspect might fix the problem.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 4, 2006
  12. In article <>, steve <>
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:14:23 +0800, jean-yves herve wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    > > In article <>, steve <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> very good.
    > >> Check out JDeveloper from oracle, it is FREE, as in FREE.
    > >> Excellent Graphical debugging , clearly shows the callouts graphically.

    > > I am sure it's great for all the things that you mention.
    > > Unfortunately, it is yet-another MDI IDE. It's really sad that the only
    > > way to avoid MDI these days is either to use XCode or to go back to
    > > Emacs and make files, the way our grandparents did their programming.
    > >
    > > jyh.
    > >

    > that was not his question, he was asking about the state of development on
    > the mac.

    It is quite relevant, given that a poor UI is going to make an IDE less
    useful. For a Mac user, an MDI UI is going to be more galling than for
    someone in the Windows space, as it is more common in the Windows world
    (vis Visual Studio).

    I know more than one Mac developer who hates MDI interfaces enough to
    find IDEA, Eclipse, and JDeveloper almost unusuable. Despite being
    behind in refactoring features, Xcode lets you use separate windows for
    each document. (I, personally, dislike MDI layouts, but not so much
    that I would switch away from IDEA.)

    That said, I find Xcode only middlin (IMO) as a Java IDE. For me, the
    feature set ofEclipse and IDEA make them preferable. I really wish
    there were a way to open multiple editor windows in IDEA.

    As far as Emacs and Make, I know a lot of developers that use an IDE
    like Eclipse to do refactoring, an editor like BBEdit for code entry,
    and ant for builds. Especially if the ant build is then callable from
    your editor or IDE, you can get a lot done that way.

    Scott

    --
    Scott Ellsworth

    Java and database consulting for the life sciences

    Scott Ellsworth, Apr 5, 2006
  13. Math1723

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:03:24 -0700, Scott Ellsworth <>

    >I know more than one Mac developer who hates MDI interfaces enough to
    >find IDEA, Eclipse, and JDeveloper almost unusuable. Despite being
    >behind in refactoring features, Xcode lets you use separate windows for
    >each document. (I, personally, dislike MDI layouts, but not so much
    >that I would switch away from IDEA.)

    With Idea, if you want to compare code from two different sources, is
    there any slick way to do it, or do you need two giant windows you
    must resize and position to make it possible, trimming off each as
    much fat as possible.

    This is so easy in SlickEdit, also getting it to find differences.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 5, 2006
  14. Roedy Green <> writes:

    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:03:24 -0700, Scott Ellsworth <>
    >
    > >I know more than one Mac developer who hates MDI interfaces enough to
    > >find IDEA, Eclipse, and JDeveloper almost unusuable. Despite being
    > >behind in refactoring features, Xcode lets you use separate windows for
    > >each document. (I, personally, dislike MDI layouts, but not so much
    > >that I would switch away from IDEA.)

    > With Idea, if you want to compare code from two different sources, is
    > there any slick way to do it, or do you need two giant windows you
    > must resize and position to make it possible, trimming off each as
    > much fat as possible.

    Idea has an excellent diff. And I think you can also open sources in new
    seperate windows since 5.0 or so. Eval is free. Check it out :)

    S.

    Stefan Arentz, Apr 5, 2006
  15. Math1723

    steve Guest

    On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 07:08:07 +0800, Roedy Green wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:03:24 -0700, Scott Ellsworth <>
    >
    >> I know more than one Mac developer who hates MDI interfaces enough to
    >> find IDEA, Eclipse, and JDeveloper almost unusuable. Despite being
    >> behind in refactoring features, Xcode lets you use separate windows for
    >> each document. (I, personally, dislike MDI layouts, but not so much
    >> that I would switch away from IDEA.)

    > With Idea, if you want to compare code from two different sources, is
    > there any slick way to do it, or do you need two giant windows you
    > must resize and position to make it possible, trimming off each as
    > much fat as possible.
    >
    > This is so easy in SlickEdit, also getting it to find differences.

    Jdeveloper has a system that automatically identifies missing / added code,
    (As it keeps a history of every change made to a file)
    Then makes it Graphically available. It has saved my life on more than a few
    occasions.

    However we all know that there is no such thing as a perfect IDE

    steve, Apr 5, 2006
  16. Math1723

    steve Guest

    On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 07:12:45 +0800, Stefan Arentz wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Roedy Green <> writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:03:24 -0700, Scott Ellsworth <>
    >>
    >>> I know more than one Mac developer who hates MDI interfaces enough to
    >>> find IDEA, Eclipse, and JDeveloper almost unusuable. Despite being
    >>> behind in refactoring features, Xcode lets you use separate windows for
    >>> each document. (I, personally, dislike MDI layouts, but not so much
    >>> that I would switch away from IDEA.)

    >> With Idea, if you want to compare code from two different sources, is
    >> there any slick way to do it, or do you need two giant windows you
    >> must resize and position to make it possible, trimming off each as
    >> much fat as possible.

    > Idea has an excellent diff. And I think you can also open sources in new
    > seperate windows since 5.0 or so. Eval is free. Check it out :)
    >
    > S.

    That is not good , it is frightening, and even more so that you have to pay
    money for it.
    see the attached screen. ( the difference is that Jdeveloper is free)

    steve, Apr 5, 2006
  17. Math1723

    Guest

    help on testing an application

    hi,
    i am a freelance java programmer. i am looking for one who will help me
    to test a java application in Mac. if any one is intrested i will send
    a Jar file. what i want is some screen shorts of that applications gui.

    please send a mail to the following address.

    Tito George

    , Apr 9, 2006
  18. Math1723

    Dave Cook Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.programmer.tools.]
    On 2006-04-01, Math1723 <> wrote:

    > Last I heard, JBuilder was the dominant one on Mac OS X, but according
    > to this article, that's no longer true. Anyone else have an idea what
    > the state of Java is on the Mac these days?

    I like Netbeans 5, which has an excellent GUI builder, and you can't beat
    the price. It runs fairly well on my Powerbook G4, but I have to admit that
    I usually run it on my amd64 Linux box and use it on the Powerbook using
    Apple's X11 server. On a gigabit ethernet connection, it's actually faster
    that way. I suggest poking around on planetnetbeans.org for tips and demos.
    With only a couple of weeks of usage, I was suprised how productive I could
    be with such a clunky programming language.

    Dave Cook

    Dave Cook, Jun 16, 2006