Java component in openoffice

Nerim

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure this is the correct group for this question, but I didn't find
any that is more relevant, so feel free to redirect me.

I'm building a custom uno component for openoffice in Java. My question is :
is there a way that this component can access the built-in components of
open office (which are not written in Java) directly. By directly, I mean
not through the usual uno interface system that I would use if I was
accessing open office form an external java program.

In other words, is there any advantages to custom java components over
external java applications except that it can be used by other people (since
it's "added" to openoffice for every user of the openoffice instance) and
that it runs on the server on which OpenOffice is rather than on the machine
I use to connect to OpenOffice ?

Thanks for any input or help.

Antoine