Java crashes - only message is "Aborted"???

Discussion in 'Java' started by dduck, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. dduck

    dduck Guest

    Hi,

    We have a strange problem. Our program occationally crashes after
    running for several hours. Nothing is logged, and the only message
    written to the console is "Aborted" - no stack trace, no exception, no
    nothing. We have encapsulated the invocation in try/catch Throwable in
    an attempt to at least be able to log a stack trace, but apparently no
    exception is thrown. No core dump or fatal error log is produced.

    Our code leverages a Java SDK from Canto (Cumulus), which uses native
    code via JNI invocation. We are currently running the program with
    option verbose:jni, in the hope that this will help us pinpoint the
    error, and are currently eagerly awaiting a crash.

    Any suggestions on how to proceed?

    Sincerely,
    Anders S. Johansen
    dduck, Jun 27, 2007

  2. On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:37:22 -0700, dduck wrote:
    > We have a strange problem. Our program occationally crashes after
    > running for several hours. Nothing is logged, and the only message
    > written to the console is "Aborted" - no stack trace, no exception,
    > no nothing.

    [...]
    > No core dump or fatal error log is produced.

    [...]
    > Any suggestions on how to proceed?

    You've received SIGABRT, either because someone has sent that signal
    (with kill), or because the code itself invokes abort(), perhaps via
    assert().

    Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) before
    starting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the setting
    is "unlimited". That should get you a corefile.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Jun 27, 2007

  3. dduck

    dduck Guest

    On Jun 27, 3:54 pm, Gordon Beaton <> wrote:
    > Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) before
    > starting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the setting
    > is "unlimited". That should get you a corefile.

    Thank you. We will try that.

    Sincerely,
    Anders
    dduck, Jun 27, 2007
  4. dduck

    Nigel Wade Guest

    dduck wrote:

    > On Jun 27, 3:54 pm, Gordon Beaton <> wrote:
    >> Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) before
    >> starting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the setting
    >> is "unlimited". That should get you a corefile.

    > Thank you. We will try that.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Anders

    What OS are you running this on?

    You might be hitting a resource limit which is aborting the command. What limits
    are imposed (CPU, stack size, vm size etc) in your environment?

    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
    Nigel Wade, Jun 27, 2007
  5. dduck

    dduck Guest

    On Jun 27, 6:07 pm, Nigel Wade <> wrote:
    > dduck wrote:
    > > On Jun 27, 3:54 pm, Gordon Beaton <> wrote:
    > >> Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) before
    > >> starting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the setting
    > >> is "unlimited". That should get you a corefile.

    > > Thank you. We will try that.

    > > Sincerely,
    > > Anders

    > What OS are you running this on?
    >
    > You might be hitting a resource limit which is aborting the command. What limits
    > are imposed (CPU, stack size, vm size etc) in your environment?

    We are running on RedHat Linux on an x86 arch. I will post precise
    info on this tomorrow when I get back to the office (no remote access
    to that particular machine).

    We constantly monitor the app with JConsole. There are no indications
    that any obvious resource is being exhausted (CPU, memory, threads,
    classes loaded...).

    Thank you for your suggestions - I will look into it and report the
    findings.

    Sincerely,
    Anders
    dduck, Jun 27, 2007
  6. dduck

    Nigel Wade Guest

    dduck wrote:

    > On Jun 27, 6:07 pm, Nigel Wade <> wrote:
    >> dduck wrote:

    >> > Thank you. We will try that.

    >> > Sincerely,
    >> > Anders

    >> What OS are you running this on?
    >>
    >> You might be hitting a resource limit which is aborting the command. What

    limits
    >> are imposed (CPU, stack size, vm size etc) in your environment?

    > We are running on RedHat Linux on an x86 arch. I will post precise
    > info on this tomorrow when I get back to the office (no remote access
    > to that particular machine).
    >
    > We constantly monitor the app with JConsole. There are no indications
    > that any obvious resource is being exhausted (CPU, memory, threads,
    > classes loaded...).
    >
    > Thank you for your suggestions - I will look into it and report the
    > findings.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Anders

    You won't get any indication that a resource limit is nearly exhausted, your
    program only receives the indication when it is exhausted. That may just be a
    failure to allocate a new resource, such as failing to open a file because you
    already have open the max. allowed, or the program being aborted due to
    exceeding the CPU limit.

    "ulimit -a" should tell you your limits in Linux.

    Nigel Wade, Jun 28, 2007
  7. dduck

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:37:22 -0700, dduck <>

    > the only message
    >written to the console is "Aborted"

    do a global search of your source code for the string "Aborted". It
    may be the app itself exiting on some "impossible" condition.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Jun 28, 2007
  8. Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:37:22 -0700, dduck <>
    >

    >>the only message
    >>written to the console is "Aborted"

    > do a global search of your source code for the string "Aborted". It
    > may be the app itself exiting on some "impossible" condition.
    > --
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossary
    > http://mindprod.com

    Or if that doesn't show up, truss (or whatever the Linux equivalent is)
    the JVM running your application: this will tell you what system call
    failed with an errno which you can look up in the man pages - this might
    give a clue which resource got exhausted. I think the compile thread
    used to abort if it can't allocate memory...

    Dave
    David Gourley, Jun 28, 2007
  9. dduck

    dduck Guest

    Hi all,

    Just for the record: The problem i solved, and it was indeed resource
    allocation innon-java code that was the culprit. It turned out that
    the Canto code under certain circumstances would not perform its
    internal garbage collection, which eventuelly led to memory usage
    hitting the hardware wall at 2GB.

    As all memory was allocated, there was of course no java core file,
    and no stack trace. I'm still trying to figure out why there was no
    ordinary core file, but that's mainly to satisfy my curiosity.

    Thank you for your help - it was really useful!

    Sincerely,
    Anders S. Johansen, Royal Danish Library

    dduck, Aug 10, 2007