Java cross-reference tools

Mike Schilling

Can anyone recommend a good, downloadable Java cross-reference tool? That
is, one where the input is a class and a classpath, and the output is all
the classes the first one references, directly or indirectly. (References
statically, at least. A list of calls to Class.forName() would be an
optional goodie.)

Ricardo Palomares Martinez

Mike Schilling escribió:
Can anyone recommend a good, downloadable Java cross-reference tool? That
is, one where the input is a class and a classpath, and the output is all
the classes the first one references, directly or indirectly. (References
statically, at least. A list of calls to Class.forName() would be an
optional goodie.)

I suppose you already know that, but NetBeans can do something similar
that if you have the source code (Find Usages), and I bet Eclipse can,
too.

HTH

Mike Schilling

Mike Schilling escribió:
I suppose you already know that, but NetBeans can do something similar
that if you have the source code (Find Usages), and I bet Eclipse can,
too.

As can IntelliJ. What I need is something that'll do it recursively and
print a report.

Jeff Higgins

Mike Schilling
Can anyone recommend a good, downloadable Java cross-reference tool? That
is, one where the input is a class and a classpath, and the output is all
the classes the first one references, directly or indirectly. (References
statically, at least. A list of calls to Class.forName() would be an
optional goodie.)

Haven't tried it.
<http://classycle.sourceforge.net/index.html>

Greg R. Broderick

Mike Schilling escribió:

As can IntelliJ. What I need is something that'll do it recursively and
print a report.

Mike:

Have you tried Structural Analysis for Java, from IBM AlphaWorks?

<http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/sa4j>

Cheers!
GRB

Greg R. Broderick (e-mail address removed)

A. Top posters.

Ed

Jeff, thanks for the reference, though I must be getting old: I'm
immediately turned off when I start a tool and pukes the following all
over my console:

Usage: java -jar classycle.jar [-raw] [-packagesOnly] [-cycles|-
mergeInnerClasses] [-includingClasses=<pattern1>,<pattern2>,...] [-
excludingClasses=<pattern1>,<pattern2>,...] [-
reflectionPattern=<pattern1>,<pattern2>,...] <class files, zip/jar/war/
ear files, or folders>

I know the tool's trying to be helpful, but I just feel ... disuaded,
somehow. I'd be much happier if it said, "Please enter the path to the
file you'd like analysed," and then defaulted everything else to
something unsurprising.

Oh, and I second SA4J: "Loaaavely plumage."

..ed

--

www.EdmundKirwan.com - Home of The Fractal Class Composition

Download Fractality, free Java code analyzer:
www.EdmundKirwan.com/servlet/fractal/frac-page130.html

Jeff Higgins

Ed wrote
Jeff, thanks for the reference, though I must be getting old: I'm
immediately turned off when I start a tool and pukes the following all
over my console:
yes agreed.
I tried: java -jar classycle.jar -xmlFile=classycle.xml classycle.jar
I know the tool's trying to be helpful, but I just feel ... disuaded,
somehow.

Oh, and I second SA4J: "Loaaavely plumage."
classycle.jar + reportXMLtoHTML.xsl ~ 120k
SA4J ~ 60M

59M feathers? But thanks for the response, I've now tried both products
and SA4J certainly is pretty

JH