Java digits pronunciation

Stefan Ram

In a Java programming class in Sunnyvale (U.S.A.), how would

0.01

usually be pronounced?

nought point oh one?

markspace

In a Java programming class in Sunnyvale (U.S.A.), how would

0.01

usually be pronounced?

nought point oh one?

"Point zero one," or "one one-hundredth," is how I'd pronounce it.
Maybe "zero point zero one." "Oh" is OK too in place of "zero."

Americans do not use "nought." In fact my spell checker flags it as a
misspelling.

Daniel Pitts

"Point zero one," or "one one-hundredth," is how I'd pronounce it. Maybe
"zero point zero one." "Oh" is OK too in place of "zero."

Americans do not use "nought." In fact my spell checker flags it as a
misspelling.

I would either says "zero point zero one". Though it depends on the
full context. For example, in phone numbers, I'm likely to say "oh" for
zeros.

Also, for periods which aren't decimal points, I'm likely to use "dot"
instead of "point". For example "version 1.02" I would say "one point
oh two"

This is my own way of doing it, I'm not sure how standard that is.

Stefan Ram

Daniel Pitts said:
I would either says "zero point zero one". Though it depends on the
full context. For example, in phone numbers, I'm likely to say "oh" for
zeros.

I live in Berlin (Germany), and - in fact - today a woman
was sitting near me in a bus who was speaking American
English, and I heard her using »oh« as she was giving
(spelling) a phone number, which reminded me to ask here
about how to pronounce »0«.

In fact, in another bus, later, I heard another person, a
boy, speaking English in an American way, who said »What did
he do/say?« (or something like this) pronounced as »What did
he do slash say?« - I never heard this use of »slash« before!
So on a bus ride in Berlin you can learn something
about American English as well as about several other
languages ... (Sometimes I enjoy sitting near persons
speaking italian).

Tim Slattery

In fact, in another bus, later, I heard another person, a
boy, speaking English in an American way, who said »What did
he do/say?« (or something like this) pronounced as »What did
he do slash say?« - I never heard this use of »slash« before!

IM(NS)HO, that's ugly. It's certainly not typical here.

Daniel Pitts

IM(NS)HO, that's ugly. It's certainly not typical here.
I've heard it, but more often that's pronounced "or" rather than "slash"
when used in an utterance.

FredK

On 1/18/13 1:08 PM, Tim Slattery wrote: > (e-mail address removed)-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote: > > >> In fact, in another bus, later, I heard another person, a >> boy, speaking English in an American way, who said �What did >> he do/say?� (or something like this) pronounced as �What did >> he do slash say?� - I never heard this use of �slash� before! > > IM(NS)HO, that's ugly. It's certainly not typical here. > I've heard it, but more often that's pronounced "or" rather than "slash" when used in an utterance.

But pronouncing the "slash" is getting more common, especially in light of
the Web (Ugh!). What bothers me is when people say "forward slash" instead of
just "slash".

Roedy Green

nought point oh one?

Here on the west coast of Canada it would be zero point zero one.
or more likely shortened to point zero one, or more informally point
oh one.
time.
~ Tom Cargill Ninety-ninety Law

Lew

There are many ways.
"Point zero one," or "one one-hundredth," is how I'd pronounce it.

No.

The first would be spelled, ".01" and the second "1/100" or such. One might
say a synonym when reading it, but literally to pronounce it requires more precision.

Otherwise the answer to "Are '0.01' and '1/100th' pronounced the same?" would be "Yes."
Maybe "zero point zero one." "Oh" is OK too in place of "zero."

Agreed.

You have binary explosion: "zero point oh one", "oh point zero one", "oh point oh one".
Americans do not use "nought." In fact my spell checker flags it as a
misspelling.

I'm an American and I use "nought", "naught", "ought" and "aught" for "nil" or "zero".

But then, I'm an educated American. Who was excited to survive to the 21st Century so I
could experience the oughts.

Your spell checker was loaded by an ignoramus.

Whether you'd *say* "zero point zero one" depends on whether you care to
pronounce the word as written or simply convey the meaning.

Lew

Stefan said:
nought point oh one?

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

"To a Mouse, on Turning Her Up in Her Nest with the Plough"
Robert Burns