    1) Is java best for stand alone programmes.
    2) Do I need to forget about java and start all over with php or javascript?

    Could I have your advise please. Much thanks.
    Java Buai, Jun 7, 2006

  2. Java Buai

    dimitar Guest

    dimitar, Jun 7, 2006

  3. Java Buai

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Java Buai" <> wrote in message
    news:4yChg.4797$...
    >I aim to do client side and server side programming. I heard that java was
    >the standard for the web and was very portable across platforms. I was
    >therefore very happy when I saw it as one the options at UNI. I have done
    >it now, but when I use it for the web I find that ie keeps blocking it.
    >There is no point programming sites that will be blocked, clients don't
    >want to be unblocking every page.
    >
    > 1) Is java best for stand alone programmes.

    There does not exist any single programming language which is "best for
    stand alone programs". There's too much variance between stand alone
    programs to make a general claim like that.

    > 2) Do I need to forget about java and start all over with php or
    > javascript?

    Are Flash animations blocked with your copy of IE? If not, you might
    consider learning Flash. If so, then perhaps JavaScript is indeed your only
    hope. PHP isn't for client side web applications.

    Note that you seem to be making the assumption that just because
    *YOU'VE* experience some sort of "blocking", that all users do. I can run
    Java Applets just fine. But then again, I'm using FireFox, and not Internet
    Explorer.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Jun 7, 2006
  4. Java Buai

    Mark Space Guest

    Java Buai wrote:
    > I aim to do client side and server side programming. I heard that java was
    > the standard for the web and was very portable across platforms. I was
    > therefore very happy when I saw it as one the options at UNI. I have done it
    > now, but when I use it for the web I find that ie keeps blocking it. There
    > is no point programming sites that will be blocked, clients don't want to be
    > unblocking every page.
    >
    > 1) Is java best for stand alone programmes.
    > 2) Do I need to forget about java and start all over with php or javascript?
    >
    > Could I have your advise please. Much thanks.

    Hmm, PHP is sever side, and javascript is client side? Which end
    are you talking about programming here?

    There should be no way for IE to block jsp/jservlets from the
    server.

    On my client, I have Java disabled right now because some ad at
    the NYTimes was crashing Mozilla. You can detect Java and other
    capabilities in javascript, I think, and inform the user if he
    needs to change his settings.

    But personally web 2.0 with javascript might be well worth
    looking into....
    Mark Space, Jun 7, 2006