Java Exam PLEASE HELP

Vanessa BJ

Hi. I am an amateur Java enthusiast. I currently work as a carpenter
and I moonlight on the weekends as a photographer. I'm trying to
transition a career change.

Which Java exam should I start with? Programmer? Or Developer?

How much of the exam will rely on memorization? How much will be from
programming skill? How do they measure my programming ability from one
exam?

Michael Borgwardt

Vanessa said:
Hi. I am an amateur Java enthusiast. I currently work as a carpenter
and I moonlight on the weekends as a photographer. I'm trying to
transition a career change.

Nice, but that's not a good reason to bother the non-Java NGs
with this question.

Which Java exam should I start with? Programmer? Or Developer?

The developer exam requires that you first pass the programmer exam.

How much of the exam will rely on memorization? How much will be from
programming skill? How do they measure my programming ability from one
exam?

The programmer exam relies very little in memorization and not at all
on programming skills (the developer exam tests that). It tests mainly
your understanding of the syntax, semantics and finer points of the
Java language.

For more information and mock exams, look here:
http://www.javaranch.com/certfaq.jsp

Chris Mays

Vanessa said:
Hi. I am an amateur Java enthusiast. I currently work as a carpenter
and I moonlight on the weekends as a photographer. I'm trying to
transition a career change.

Which Java exam should I start with? Programmer? Or Developer?

How much of the exam will rely on memorization? How much will be from
programming skill? How do they measure my programming ability from one
exam?

If you want certification, you pretty much have to start with the
Programmer exam before you can take the Developer exam. As for measuring
your ability, I'm not sure that it really does but I'm sure opinions
vary on this. Emphasis on certification varies from employer to
employer. A great place to start researching about Java certification is
www.javaranch.com.

Chris

Dr Chaos

Hi. I am an amateur Java enthusiast. I currently work as a carpenter
and I moonlight on the weekends as a photographer. I'm trying to
transition a career change.

Which Java exam should I start with? Programmer? Or Developer?

try: Indian visa application

brougham3

Hi. I am an amateur Java enthusiast. I currently work as a carpenter
and I moonlight on the weekends as a photographer. I'm trying to
transition a career change.

Which Java exam should I start with? Programmer? Or Developer?

I'd suggest saving your money. You are not going to break into a new field
by taking a $150 certification exam...at least, not in this economy.

Why are you cross posting to so many groups? I'm not sure what the photo or
woodworking groups have to do with Java tests.

George Kerby

I'd suggest saving your money. You are not going to break into a new field
by taking a $150 certification exam...at least, not in this economy.

Why are you cross posting to so many groups? I'm not sure what the photo or
woodworking groups have to do with Java tests.

No, the question is why are YOU responding by cross-posting to all the
groups?

You've been 'TROLLED' by a pest who resides pretty much in the photo groups.

However, word is out that he may be gone, at least for a while. (Hopefully)

Mike Reed

It can't hurt to get your certification, but a good interviewer will
do a better evaluation of your programming ability than a
certification. I got a high-paying Java engineer job without knowing
Java at all. I knew C++, but as a good programmer, it didn't matter to
my interviewers that I needed to learn Java.

I'd recommend that you learn the skill of programming, not that you
learn a language. It's fine to do this with Java, but I'd say you
should focus on writing a significant application to teach yourself.
After that, the certification will be the icing on the cake.

It's kind of like if someone wanted to learn carpentry, but just got
some training certification on using air nailers. That hardly
qualifies one to be a carpenter. But if that person could show an
interviewer a shed she built with an air nailer, then we're getting
somewhere.

Oh, and go for Programmer Cert before Developer.

-Mike