java exe

Bayrat

I am new to java and after completing some basic applications i would like
to be able to run them as stand alone apps in windows.
can anyone tell me how to make a stand alone windows exe file from them
I have the sun one studio but no tutorials

Cheers

Marco Schmidt

Bayrat:
I am new to java and after completing some basic applications i would like
to be able to run them as stand alone apps in windows.
can anyone tell me how to make a stand alone windows exe file from them
I have the sun one studio but no tutorials

You'll need a native compiler. To run the exe you'll need an installed
Java anyway (most of the time), so it's not really a simplification.
See <http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/jcomp.html#native>.

Regards,
Marco

Tim Tyler

: I am new to java and after completing some basic applications i would like
: to be able to run them as stand alone apps in windows.
: can anyone tell me how to make a stand alone windows exe file from them

Java doesn't exactly encourage creating ".exe" files.

The Java way is to make a "Jar" file - which can be launched by
double-clicking on it.

The main downside (compared to an "exe") is that there is no "application
icon" protocol. Why this appears to be missing I don't know.

Roedy Green

The main downside (compared to an "exe") is that there is no "application
icon" protocol. Why this appears to be missing I don't know.

if you use JNLP JWS you get one.

Tim Tyler

:>The main downside (compared to an "exe") is that there is no "application
:>icon" protocol. Why this appears to be missing I don't know.

: if you use JNLP JWS you get one.

This is true.

Maybe one day JNLP files will have appropriate icons on them when
viewed from conventional file managers.