Java file extentions

DGG

Hi,

I recently came across some Java deployment related stuff, which refers
to Java file types I don't know. Specifically, .fdr files and .rhe
files.
I have no idea where to look at.

Does anyone happen to know what they are about, or even better a
relatively comprehensive list of java related file types?

Thanks

Chris Smith

DGG said:
I recently came across some Java deployment related stuff, which refers
to Java file types I don't know. Specifically, .fdr files and .rhe
files.
I have no idea where to look at.

Does anyone happen to know what they are about, or even better a
relatively comprehensive list of java related file types?

These file extensions don't seem to have anything at all to do with
Java. Where did you "come across" this, and what is it? That might
provide some clues as to the questions you're asking. Perhaps the
deployment product you found defines and uses those file extensions?

There aren't very many file extensions that are java related. Unless
I've missed something, a fairly complete list would be .java, .class,
..jar, .war, .ear, .jsp, .jnlp, .jad, and questionably .properties
(although nothing but a very loose convention really defines the latter
as an extension). You might include .mf, but it's really part of a
complete filename (/META-INF/Manifest.mf), and there are no general-
purpose uses of that extension, so I don't consider it a specific
extension. There are also a number of other extensions that are even
more loosely associated with stuff... a lot of struts actions are mapped
to ".do", for example, and JSF page references sometimes but not
necessarily use .jsf. But these aren't even to the point where I'd call
them widely recognized.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Lee Fesperman

Chris said:
There aren't very many file extensions that are java related. Unless
I've missed something, a fairly complete list would be .java, .class,
.jar, .war, .ear, .jsp, .jnlp, .jad, and questionably .properties
(although nothing but a very loose convention really defines the latter
as an extension). You might include .mf, but it's really part of a
complete filename (/META-INF/Manifest.mf), and there are no general-
purpose uses of that extension, so I don't consider it a specific
extension. There are also a number of other extensions that are even
more loosely associated with stuff... a lot of struts actions are mapped
to ".do", for example, and JSF page references sometimes but not
necessarily use .jsf. But these aren't even to the point where I'd call
them widely recognized.

You need to add .rar, used for JCA. There are probably more to add to the list.

DGG

It is under a VMEngine directory where we have the Microchai java
virtual machine developed by HP

Does this ring a bell?

Andrew Thompson

I recently came across some Java deployment related stuff, which refers
to Java file types I don't know. Specifically, .fdr files and .rhe
files.
I have no idea where to look at. ....
It is under a VMEngine directory where we have the Microchai java
virtual machine developed by HP

<drily>
Oh, your dribbling out a few more clues I see.
</drily>

If you use Google to search for
<http://www.google.com/search?q=.fdr+Microchai+jvm+HP>

Google will ask if you actually mean ..
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c2coff=1&q=.fdr+Microchaivm+HP&spell=1>

Which is little different since it produces the same hit.
(A PDF - whcih I did not look at).

If that fails to produce your answer, you might try..
Does this ring a bell?

(ba-bing) Search the manufaturer's site.
E.G.
<http://search.hp.com/query.html?col...&nh=10&lk=1&rf=0&uf=1&st=1&qt=Microchaivm+fdr>

Report back.

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Lee Fesperman said:
You need to add .rar, used for JCA. There are probably more to add
to the list.

..sar for Service Archive, at least used by JBoss JMX "plugins" and
probably other JMX containers.

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen