    file for? What exactly is java doing when it opens a filereader? I think
    some operating systems will force the connection shut after a certain amount
    of time but not sure.
    Crouchez, Jul 26, 2007

  2. Crouchez

    Twisted Guest

    On Jul 26, 2:22 am, "Crouchez" <>
    wrote:
    > Are there any guidelines on how long you can keep a filereader open on a
    > file for? What exactly is java doing when it opens a filereader? I think
    > some operating systems will force the connection shut after a certain amount
    > of time but not sure.

    If it's a local file I don't see why. If it's a network connection it
    may need some kind of "keepalive"; that will depend on the specific
    protocol. In the case of HTTP I know there's a Keepalive: 1 HTTP
    header. In the case of others (FTP, local network file sharing
    protocols like Samba and NFS, etc.) I don't have a clue, sorry. :)
    Twisted, Jul 26, 2007

  3. Crouchez wrote:
    > Are there any guidelines on how long you can keep a filereader open on a
    > file for? What exactly is java doing when it opens a filereader? I think
    > some operating systems will force the connection shut after a certain amount
    > of time but not sure.

    I am not aware of any operating system that will "timeout" open files.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Jul 29, 2007