Java fonts are blurred

negopus

I am rather new to using Java in real-life projects. Currently, I am
maintaining a Java project at work. I have installed Jdeveloper 9.0.
Fonts look really ugly and blurred, both in the development
environment and in the running applets. In JDEV I cannot change fonts,
at least I cannot choose the highly readable fonts I use in other
editors.

I think that this general graphic roughness (fonts and everything
else) is one of the reason of the limited success of Java.

Negopus

shay

Are you talking about the fonts of JDeveloper itself or of the end
application.
In JDeveloper you can change the fonts in the editor through the
tools->preferences->code editor menu option.

Oh, and you might want to try out the newer JDeveloper 10g - get it at
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev

negopus

Are you talking about the fonts of JDeveloper itself or of the end
application.

I am talking about both of them. I either case, the "distinctive"
appearence of Java is rather ugly. Demotivating, if you are not forced
to use it for any reason.
In JDeveloper you can change the fonts in the editor through the
tools->preferences->code editor menu option.

I already did so, but I cannot choose the higly-readable fonts one can
download from http://www.procon.com.au/Fonts.htm.
Oh, and you might want to try out the newer JDeveloper 10g - get it at
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev

Of course I would. But for the current project I have to stick to
9.0.1.

negopus

Roedy Green

I already did so, but I cannot choose the higly-readable fonts one can
download from http://www.procon.com.au/Fonts.htm.

Those are raster fonts that come in only a few sizes. What would Java
do if you tried to use them like scaleable fonts?

Ideally these should be a way of packaging such fonts as scaleable
fonts for large sizes that revert to raster for a few magic sizes.
And not telling Java about it.

negopus

Roedy Green said:
Those are raster fonts that come in only a few sizes. What would Java
do if you tried to use them like scaleable fonts?

What would Java do? I don't know.
Ideally these should be a way of packaging such fonts as scaleable
fonts for large sizes that revert to raster for a few magic sizes.
And not telling Java about it.

Do you know a way to achieve this? Do I need a font editor?

negopus

Roedy Green

Do you know a way to achieve this? Do I need a font editor?

I know that PostScript, TTF and OpenFont have "hints" to help render
small font sizes. I don't think this goes quite as far as providing
direct raster fonts for some magic sizes.

Creating fonts is much more difficult than it looks.

I think your best bet is to just find a font that looks good in small
point sizes that is scaleable.

If you had the bucks, you could even get one custom made by a font
foundry.

On font you might find interesting is Tiresias. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/tiresias.html which is designed for the
visually impaired. The PCFont version, which I don't have, might work
at small point sizes for legibility.

However, you want a fixed pitch font.