    im going to do it.

    Thanks in advance.
    Niall
    Niall, Apr 7, 2004

  2. On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 07:12:26 -0400, Niall wrote:
    >Hey, I was just curious if anyone here was able to tell me how to make a
    >exe (or equivelent) for mac's and linux. The reason I choose java for my
    >project was because it's portable, so now all I have to do is to see how
    >im going to do it.

    Just as in Windows, the .jar or .class files is the executable.
    For Windows, often an .exe wrapper that invokes the JVM is used.
    Under Linux usually a shell script is created for that purpose.

    --
    Gerbrand van Dieijen
    Gerbrand van Dieijen, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Niall

    Ramon Vega Guest

    Gerbrand van Dieijen wrote:
    An alternative way may be to compile your java code with gcj (gnu
    compiler) but I don't know if it exists for mac.
    Ramon

    Ramon Vega, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Niall <> wrote:
    > Hey, I was just curious if anyone here was able to tell me how to make a
    > exe (or equivelent) for mac's and linux. The reason I choose java for my
    > project was because it's portable, so now all I have to do is to see how
    > im going to do it.

    When you compile Java code, it creates byte-codes which execute in the
    Java Virtual Machine. You're not targeting Windows/*nix, you're
    targeting the JVM. To run your code on a Mac or on Linux, you just take
    your bytecode and run it on the *virtual machine* for that platform.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
    Darryl L. Pierce, Apr 7, 2004