java graph library

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jochen Opp, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. Jochen Opp

    Jochen Opp Guest

    Hi,

    i am a 3 rd year csba student at UKC and i am doing a java programming
    project, if you have some minutes to answer some questions i would be very
    grateful. I am currently in the requirements analysis step of my development
    process and therefore would like to gather as much information as possible
    from possible users, before i start to lay out my program. The following
    paragraph shows the original project description:

    A Java Graph Library
    The aim of this project is to create a Java library for the drawing of
    graphs and charts (e.g. line graphs, bar graphs). Such a system (if made
    available as an open source project) would have wide applicability and would
    be useful in many kinds of scientific work. The idea of this project would
    be to construct such a library. Inspiration could come from programs such as
    gnuplot, which provides an excellent standalone program with many options.
    This project would require strong java programming skills.

    Below i have listed some questions that would help me to understand the
    requirements of possible future users, but please also feel free to answer
    with any other statements, questions, or ideas.

    -Is there a similar open source program that already exists, which is
    capable of the functions described above?

    -How do you include charts, graphs and other plotted graphics into your java
    GUIs/programs?

    -Would such a Java Graph Library be useful to you?

    -When having to display mathematical functions as graphs, such as sin(x),
    what java tools, classes and methods do you use?

    Thanks a lot for your time, i am looking forward to your answer,

    best regards
    Jochen Opp
    Jochen Opp, Sep 21, 2003

  2. Jochen Opp wrote:

    > i am a 3 rd year csba student at UKC and i am doing a java programming
    > project, if you have some minutes to answer some questions i would be very
    > grateful. I am currently in the requirements analysis step of my
    > development process and therefore would like to gather as much information
    > as possible from possible users, before i start to lay out my program. The
    > following paragraph shows the original project description:

    Please see my response in comp.lang.java.help.

    --
    Neil Campbell
    batneil[AT]lineone[DOT]net
    Neil Campbell, Sep 21, 2003