java graph library

Jochen Opp

Hi,

i am a 3 rd year csba student at UKC and i am doing a java programming
project, if you have some minutes to answer some questions i would be very
grateful. I am currently in the requirements analysis step of my development
process and therefore would like to gather as much information as possible
from possible users, before i start to lay out my program. The following
paragraph shows the original project description:

A Java Graph Library
The aim of this project is to create a Java library for the drawing of
graphs and charts (e.g. line graphs, bar graphs). Such a system (if made
available as an open source project) would have wide applicability and would
be useful in many kinds of scientific work. The idea of this project would
be to construct such a library. Inspiration could come from programs such as
gnuplot, which provides an excellent standalone program with many options.
This project would require strong java programming skills.

Below i have listed some questions that would help me to understand the
requirements of possible future users, but please also feel free to answer
with any other statements, questions, or ideas.

-Is there a similar open source program that already exists, which is
capable of the functions described above?

-How do you include charts, graphs and other plotted graphics into your java
GUIs/programs?

-Would such a Java Graph Library be useful to you?

-When having to display mathematical functions as graphs, such as sin(x),
what java tools, classes and methods do you use?

Thanks a lot for your time, i am looking forward to your answer,

best regards
Jochen Opp

Neil Campbell

Jochen said:
i am a 3 rd year csba student at UKC and i am doing a java programming
project, if you have some minutes to answer some questions i would be very
grateful. I am currently in the requirements analysis step of my
development process and therefore would like to gather as much information
as possible from possible users, before i start to lay out my program. The
following paragraph shows the original project description:

Please see my response in comp.lang.java.help.