java gui and windows api

yogesh

Does "java apis for gui development(swing and awt)" for Windows use
the underlying windows api at its core ?
As I read it that
a)it is completely impossible to avoid the "standard windows look and
feel" when using the windows api.
b)it is also difficult on Windows to develop a rich gui program
without using the Windows api.
Java has a very rich set of gui elements and that also are totally
different from windows look and feel.

regards,
Yogesh P Joshi

Paul Lutus

yogesh said:
Does "java apis for gui development(swing and awt)" for Windows use
the underlying windows api at its core ?

It uses Windows native graphics functions, but it doesn't use the Windows
L&F directly.
As I read it that
a)it is completely impossible to avoid the "standard windows look and
feel" when using the windows api.

Swing offers several L&F options other than one that looks like Windows.
Nearly all my programs use Swing, and none of them look very much like
Windows programs.
b)it is also difficult on Windows to develop a rich gui program
without using the Windows api.
Java has a very rich set of gui elements and that also are totally
different from windows look and feel.

What was your question again?