    Thanks
    Peter
    , Apr 21, 2006

    I am very happy to write you this message because i have to know more
    about programmation.I will be much gratefull if you could help me by
    teaching me or by sending me some books..
    , Apr 21, 2006

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    On 21 Apr 2006 03:43:23 -0700, wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >I am very happy to write you this message because i have to know more
    >about programmation.I will be much gratefull if you could help me by
    >teaching me or by sending me some books..

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
    and http://mindprod.com/jgloss/personalbookshelf.html
    for free books you can read online.

    Try asking locally. Lots of us may have old books, but it costs quite
    bit to ship them.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Apr 21, 2006

    Guys can any1 give me any help with my original question? I really need
    some advice on this.
    , Apr 24, 2006

    OK I have just learned that the java is not running through tomcat but
    is running on a unix server and is using AIX 5.1 I think. I don't have
    much experience with this but I'm guessing there should be a setting in
    the java virtual machine?

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Peter
    , Apr 24, 2006
  6. On 24 Apr 2006 00:57:49 -0700, wrote:
    > OK I have just learned that the java is not running through tomcat
    > but is running on a unix server and is using AIX 5.1 I think. I
    > don't have much experience with this but I'm guessing there should
    > be a setting in the java virtual machine?

    I believe the size of the heap dump is directly related to the size of
    the heap itself. On AIX I suspect you're using IBM's rather than Sun's
    JVM, but you should still be able to type "java -X" to see what
    options you can use to limit the size of the heap (-Xmx for example).

    Note that if *no* core dump was created (not even an empty file), it
    is likely due to a ulimit setting affecting the Java process. Type
    "ulimit -a" in a shell. If corefile size is 0, no attempt will be made
    to create a corefile regardless of its size or the available space.
    Note that this is a per-process setting, so changing the ulimit value
    in *your* shell won't have the desired effect.

    I suspect the heap dump is more useful than the corefile, for example
    if your application is running out of memory. IBM Alphaworks has some
    tools to help analyze the Java heap dump, use Google.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Apr 24, 2006

    Yea i thought the heap dump size would be related to the heap itself
    but is there a way I can leave the heap size as it is but when a crash
    occurs not create a dump file which is so large?

    Is there a way to limit the size of the dump file?

    Thanks again.
    Peter
    , Apr 25, 2006
  8. Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Heap dump file

    Tool name called IBM Support Assistant. By using ISA, user can download MDD4J performance tool for finding memory leak in IBM WAS based applications.
    , Sep 8, 2010