Java Help for a Beginner

Booter

Hello all,

I am working on a program that can takes numbers in as grades with a
delimiter of a ",". I have most of the code working but for some
reason I can never get out of the while loop in the code. If anyone
can help it would be greatly appreciated.

*****************CODE**************

import java.util.*;// need scanner

public class Grades
{
public static void main (String[] args)
{
Scanner classGrades = new Scanner(System.in);
Scanner delimiter = new Scanner(System.in);

System.out.print("Welcome to the Grade Calculator Program \n\n"
+ "Please enter the student scores as integers between 0 and
100.\n"
+ "Separate the scores with a comma.\n"
+ "Follow the last student score with a negative number.\n"
+ "Enter the grades here: ");

//declairations for vars needed
int grade = 0;
int a = 0;
int b = 0;
int c = 0;
int d = 0;
int f = 0;
int total = 0;
int low = 0;
int high = 0;
double avg = 0;
double sum = 0;

//set delimiter to a ","
delimiter.useDelimiter(",");

//while loop to go though the input grades
while (delimiter.hasNextInt())
{
System.out.println(grade);

grade = delimiter.nextInt();

if (grade >= 0)
{
System.out.println("test 2");

//assign low and high
if (grade > high)
high = grade;
else if (grade < low)
low = grade;

// assign grades
if (grade >= 90)
{
a++;
sum = sum + grade;
}
else if (grade >= 80 && grade <= 89)
{
b++;
sum = sum + grade;
}
if (grade >= 70 && grade <= 79)
{
c++;
sum = sum + grade;
}
if (grade >= 60 && grade <= 69)
{
d++;
sum = sum + grade;
}
if (grade < 60)
{
f++;
sum = sum + grade;
}

System.out.println(grade);
total++;

}
else
break;
}

avg = sum / total;

System.out.print("\n\n");
System.out.println("Grade Calculations:");
System.out.println("Total number of grades = " + total);
System.out.println("Low score = " + low);
System.out.println("High score = " + high);
System.out.println("Average score = " + avg);
System.out.println("Number of A's = " + a);
System.out.println("Number of B's = " + b);
System.out.println("Number of C's = " + c);
System.out.println("Number of D's = " + d);
System.out.println("Number of F's = " + f);

Lew

Booter said:
I am working on a program that can takes numbers in as grades with a
delimiter of a ",". I have most of the code working but for some
reason I can never get out of the while loop in the code. If anyone
can help it would be greatly appreciated.

*****************CODE**************

import java.util.*;// need scanner

public class Grades
{
public static void main (String[] args)

Do not embed TAB characters in Usenet posts. Use spaces, a maximum of four
per indent level.

People have to be able to read your code to help you with it.
{
Scanner classGrades = new Scanner(System.in);
Scanner delimiter = new Scanner(System.in);

This is probably your problem. You've declared two scanners for System.in and
you don't seem ever to use the first one. Why do you need two? Why don't you
use the first one?
System.out.print("Welcome to the Grade Calculator Program \n\n"
+ "Please enter the student scores as integers between 0 and
100.\n"

Those darn TAB characters!
+ "Separate the scores with a comma.\n"
+ "Follow the last student score with a negative number.\n"
+ "Enter the grades here: ");

//declairations [sic] for vars needed
int grade = 0;
int a = 0;

It is better in languages like Java to name a variable with a whole word that
indicates its meaning in the logic of the problem. Readers have to ask, "What
is an 'a'?" A better name would be "aCount" or "countOfA" or "numberOfAs".
int b = 0;
etc.

I took a guess, but for this kind of question you should also report
(copied-and-pasted) what your test inputs and resulting outputs were.

Booter

Booter said:
[...]

I was going through debug mode in Eclipse and noticed that when I got
to a negative number that my line:

grade = delimiter.nextInt();

was not preforming as expected. Does this method get negative
numbers?

markspace

Normally, I'd say "do your own homework." It's important to ask your
instructor or TA so they know where you are having trouble. However,
this may be a subtle error.
//set delimiter to a ","
delimiter.useDelimiter(",");

You might try ",\\s*" instead. Normally there's white space in a file
like this, and I'm not really sure what the response of the scanner will
be if it tries to convert an int with white space. Note that white
space includes newlines, so I don't see how this will progress to a new
line as you have it now. If you have white space before the comma,
you'll need something like "\\s*,\\s*".

I could be all wrong, and I didn't test it, but it's something to look at.

Booter

Normally, I'd say "do your own homework."  It's important to ask your
instructor or TA so they know where you are having trouble.  However,
this may be a subtle error.

You might try ",\\s*" instead.  Normally there's white space in a file
like this, and I'm not really sure what the response of the scanner will
be if it tries to convert an int with white space.  Note that white
space includes newlines, so I don't see how this will progress to a new
line as you have it now.  If you have white space before the comma,
you'll need something like "\\s*,\\s*".

I could be all wrong, and I didn't test it, but it's something to look at..

So I tested it with the the following input:

1,2,3,-1

When it goes through the while loop it works until I get to the part
where

grade = delimiter.nextInt();

tries to get the -1. Once it reaches that line it just stalls and
doesn't progress any further.

Roedy Green

grade = delimiter.nextInt();

was not preforming as expected. Does this method get negative
numbers?

Javadoc says:

Scans the next token of the input as an int. This method will throw
InputMismatchException if the next token cannot be translated into a
valid int value as described below. If the translation is successful,
the scanner advances past the input that matched.

If the next token matches the Integer regular expression defined above
then the token is converted into an int value as if by removing all
locale specific prefixes, group separators, and locale specific
suffixes, then mapping non-ASCII digits into ASCII digits via
Character.digit, prepending a negative sign (-) if the locale specific
negative prefixes and suffixes were present, and passing the resulting
string to Integer.parseInt with the specified radix.

That means it wants simple ints, no spaces, no commas, but a single
lead - is ok.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.
~ George Eliot (born: 1819-11-22 died: 1880-12-22 at age: 61) (Mary Ann Evans)

Booter

[...]

Ok well that is all I have is a single - in front of the last number
but it just stalls once it reaches that point previously stated.

If it helps when the input is 1,2,3,-1,5 the loop will go through and
not get hung up on the -1 but will not do anything for the -1 or 5.

markspace

Booter said:

----------^

Here it is.

Delimiters in Scanner go on both sides of the token. So it's waiting
for a , after the -1 (or more digits), and stalls, waiting forever. I'd
add a newline to the delimiter, or maybe just whitespace.

Here's what fixed this problem for me:

//set delimiter to a "," or newline
delimiter.useDelimiter("(\\s*,\\s*)|\n");

This could probably use some improvement still.
When it goes through the while loop it works until I get to the part
where

grade = delimiter.nextInt();

tries to get the -1. Once it reaches that line it just stalls and
doesn't progress any further.

'cause it's waiting for more input.

Really, you should have talked to your instructor or TA. This kind of
subtle use of regex is quite beyond a beginning student.

Please bring this to your instructor's immediate attention. They should
advise the beginner of the proper regex to use in cases like this.

Booter

----------^

Here it is.

Delimiters in Scanner go on both sides of the token.  So it's waiting
for a , after the -1 (or more digits), and stalls, waiting forever.  I'd
add a newline to the delimiter, or maybe just whitespace.

Here's what fixed this problem for me:

   //set delimiter to a "," or newline
   delimiter.useDelimiter("(\\s*,\\s*)|\n");

This could probably use some improvement still.

'cause it's waiting for more input.

Really, you should have talked to your instructor or TA.  This kind of
subtle use of regex is quite beyond a beginning student.

Please bring this to your instructor's immediate attention.  They should
advise the beginner of the proper regex to use in cases like this.

Thank you every one for all of your help. I could not have gotten
this done without you.