java i/o streams graphical representation and more ....

cantafabulator

Hello there,
I'm really finding it difficult to remember all the java i/o stream
related classes and their main characteristics. This probably applies
to collection related classes and many other.
It would be really helpful to have a graphical representation of these
classes (that I could hang on the wall) containing relationships and
what they bring (i.e. some may bring line oriented i/o, some work with
character streams and some with byte streams, etc.). Probably a class
diagram would be just fine.
Have you guys seen/using anything like that ? Suggestions ?

Cheers,
Cantafab

sesha

Hello there,
  I'm really finding it difficult to remember all the java i/o stream
related classes and their main characteristics. This probably applies
to collection related classes and many other.
It would be really helpful to have a graphical representation of these
classes (that I could hang on the wall) containing relationships and
what they bring (i.e. some may bring line oriented i/o, some work with
character streams and some with byte streams, etc.). Probably a class
diagram would be just fine.
Have you guys seen/using anything like that ? Suggestions ?

Cheers,
Cantafab

hi cantafad, this is giri, man it is very easy to remember io streams
classes, how ever i dont have the diagram buti can explain how to
rember them.

you know iostream consistes of 2types of Streams...

1)BYTE STREAMS (8bit representation)

here we have 2kinds of classes....

this stream consists classes that are used to read data and also
classes used to write data in the form of bytes...(here all the
classes names both read data classes and write data classes ends
with steam example:InputStream,OutputStream,FileInputStream etc.so if
u see stream at the end of any class it means it belongs to BYTE
STREAM.

1st kind of classes: ( for reading data)

now coming to classes that are used to read data in the form of
bytes.Super class of all the classes using which we would be reading
data in the form of bytes is InputStream

some classes that are used to read data in the form of bytes is
DataInputStream, FileInputStream so on... so here we can see that
these class names ends with InputStream. when ever we see Input it
means reading data and stream is for byte oriented data.

2nd kind of classes (for writing data):

now coming to classes that are used to write data in the form of
bytes.Super class of all the classes using which we would be writing
data in the form of bytes is OutputStream.

some classes that are used to write data in the form of bytes are
DataOutputStream,FileOutputStream so on... so here we can see the word
OutputStream at the end of the class names which shows that they are
used to writing data in the form of bytes.

2)Character STREAMS (16bit representation)

here also we have 2kinds of classes ie reading data in the form of
characters and writing data in the form of characters.

for 1stkind (ie reading data)
super class of all the classes using which we read the data in the
form of characters is Reader.
example of such classes is FileReader, BufferedReader. so here we see
word Reader at the end of the class which show us that these classes
are used to read data in the form of characters.

for 2nd kind (ie writing data)
super class of all the classes using which we write data in the form
of characters is Writer.
example of such classes is FileWriter,BufferedWriter. so here we can
see word Writer at the end of the classes which means that they are
used to write data in the form of characters.

let us see some classes...

BYTE ORIENTED CLASSES

Input means reading...
Output means writing...
Stream means byte oriented...
if class name ends with InputStream or OutputStream the byte oriented
classes.

InputStream (byte oriented class for reading data)
OutputStream (byte oriented class for writing data)
FileInputStream (byte oriented class for reading data)
DataInputStream (byte oriented class for reading data)
FileOutputStream (byte oriented class for writing data)
DataOutputStream (byte oriented class for writing data)

CHARACTER ORIENTED CLASSES...

Reader means reading..
Writer means writing...
if class ends with Reader or Writer then they belong to character
oriented classes.

FileReader (Character oriented class for reading data)
InputStreamReader (Character oriented class for reading data). here
class ends with Reader.
OutputStreamWriter (character oriented class for writing data). here
class ends with Writer.
BufferedWriter (for writing data in the form of characters).
FileWriter (writing data)

here READIND DATA AND WRITING DATA means geting the data and sending
the data from one place to another respectively.

ie i can read data from RAM, or from file or from another system or
from another process.

same way i can write data on ram, or send data to another process or
to monitor etc..

man i will try to prepare a chart but go through this info. ok bye
take care.

regards
sesha

David Segall

Hello there,
I'm really finding it difficult to remember all the java i/o stream
related classes and their main characteristics. This probably applies
to collection related classes and many other.
It would be really helpful to have a graphical representation of these
classes (that I could hang on the wall) containing relationships and
what they bring (i.e. some may bring line oriented i/o, some work with
character streams and some with byte streams, etc.). Probably a class
diagram would be just fine.
Have you guys seen/using anything like that ? Suggestions ?
There is a poster of all the main class libraries available but it
does not contain the details you want
<http://www.amazon.com/Java-TM-Class...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204726037&sr=8-1>

If you (or anyone else) can collect it from Melbourne, Australia you
can have a mounted copy of the old version (covers Java 1.4) free.
Email me using the address on this page.
<http://www.profectus.com.au/contact.html>

cantafabulator

Dear Giri and David,
thank you for the valuable information. I am afraid I am located a
little bit too far away from Melbourne though. The amazon posters seem
like a good start. Otherwise, I could simply start generating some
nice class diagrams myself which I could populate with the information
I need. It would probably be a nice exercise.

Cristian