Java IDE access through voice recognition software?

Jonathan Sachs

I am a former Java programmer -- former because I have carpal tunnel
syndrome, and can no longer use a keyboard very much.

I now rely on speech recognition software for most of my computer
interaction. Specifically I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking, which is the
dominant product of this type.

I'd like to find out whether any of the current IDE's support an effective
interface to NaturallySpeaking which would enable me to work largely by
voice.

I recently read the following text in Borland's "what's new" description of
JBuilder X:
JBuilder supports alternative navigation techniques for several reasons:
to allow users to maintain their most comfortable working style, whether
this includes a mouse or not, and to support adaptive strategies such as
voice recognition software [presumably they mean speech recognition
software], which depend on commands being accessible from the
keyboard.

This piques my interest. I wonder whether it implies that Borland actually
makes the IDE work effectively with speech recognition software. I wonder
whether other vendors have done as much, or more.

I have a discouraging feeling that they have simply added menu access to all
commands as required by §508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act, so that
it _would_ allow users to access all commands through voice recognition
software if it were usable with voice recognition software at all.

Can anyone tell me more?