java IDE on mac...HELP!!

soneangel

Hi guys, I'm new in java world using a mac. Actually I must use the
terminal to compile and run classes (javac and java commands) because
the xCode editor I use to code in doesn't work properly. It doesn't
build and run my java classes. Every time I click on build the
application will close and a message let me close at all, open again
and send a comment to apple.
Actually I didn't care very much because I used javac and java command
from terminal, but now I copied and pasted code, from the
SimpleRead.java found on internet on the same name class I built, on
xCode and it doesn't work. So I registered from safari with .java
extension but I cannot open for the same reason...Sigh
Someone can help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeee...thanx very much

ck

Hi guys, I'm new in java world using a mac. Actually I must use the
terminal to compile and run classes (javac and java commands) because
the xCode editor I use to code in doesn't work properly. It doesn't
build and run my java classes. Every time I click on build the
application will close and a message let me close at all, open again
and send a comment to apple.
Actually I didn't care very much because I used javac and java command
from terminal, but now I copied and pasted code, from the
SimpleRead.java found on internet on the same name class I built, on
xCode and it doesn't work. So I registered from safari with .java
extension but I cannot open for the same reason...Sigh
Someone can help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeee...thanx very much

If you can compile other Java files from terminal why can't you
compile this "SimpleRead.java" in the same way? Compile from the
terminal.

ck

Hi guys, I'm new in java world using a mac. Actually I must use the
terminal to compile and run classes (javac and java commands) because
the xCode editor I use to code in doesn't work properly. It doesn't

May be these links would be of some help
http://www.centerkey.com/mac/java/
In case you want to ditch xcode you can use NetBeans (I would suggest
you not to use IDE till you are fairly comfortable with Java)

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/netbeans.html

sone

If you can compile other Java files from terminal why can't you
compile this "SimpleRead.java" in the same way? Compile from the
terminal.

Hi, thanx for the answer..
Btw I'm trying to compile from the terminal, it's what I'm doing
but.....do you mean that i shouldn't use xcode at all...code the
SimpleRead.java directly on the terminal?? if you meant this, how can
I do pls?

sone

May be these links would be of some helphttp://www.centerkey.com/mac/java/
In case you want to ditch xcode you can use NetBeans (I would suggest
you not to use IDE till you are fairly comfortable with Java)

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/netbeans....

Thank you very much!!I'm going to surf that pages...
About NetBeans I've downloaded it and installed but it didn't want to
work...I double clicked on it but it won't open...do I have some
problem on my mac ??? lol
:(

Lew

pleaseeeeeeeeeeee

I'm curious - is this spelling part of a subculture? I have seen it or close
variants in several posts over time.

If I were to convey a whiny tone I'd spell it "pleeeeeease" or
"pleeeEEEEease". To my eye/ear (/nose/throat) the "e"s at the end negate the
silence of the final "e" and create a prolonged vowel after the "s" sound.

-- Lew

Andrew Thompson

I'm curious - is this spelling part of a subculture? I have seen it or close
variants in several posts over time.

If I were to convey a whiny tone I'd spell it "pleeeeeease" or
"pleeeEEEEease". To my eye/ear (/nose/throat) the "e"s at the end negate the
silence of the final "e" and create a prolonged vowel after the "s" sound.

Using the word 'please', incorrectly spelt,
is most likely to have me going directly to
the next post. But then, even 'please',
correctly spelt, has a whiny tone to my ear.

State a technical question (after doing some
groundwork) and people will not especially
care that you did not say 'please', they will
begin to discuss the technical issues - and
therein lies the solution. Adding 'please'
almost indicates that the author recognises
that they are asking a stupid question, yet
still imploring us to 'take pity' on them
or 'give them allowances' for courtesy.

My attitude, is 'no'. Be blunt and direct,
do the groundwork, and ask a smart question -
'courtesy' be scr*wed.

And as an aside, I see 'courtesy' as being
crudely equivalent to 'false platitudes' -
on the groups, it is largely a waste of
bandwidth*.

* Not that I have not used a few bytes
thanking people for answers, which I think
*does* make sense - at least for flagging
solutions that work.

Andrew T.

steve

Hi guys, I'm new in java world using a mac. Actually I must use the
terminal to compile and run classes (javac and java commands) because
the xCode editor I use to code in doesn't work properly. It doesn't
build and run my java classes. Every time I click on build the
application will close and a message let me close at all, open again
and send a comment to apple.
Actually I didn't care very much because I used javac and java command
from terminal, but now I copied and pasted code, from the
SimpleRead.java found on internet on the same name class I built, on
xCode and it doesn't work. So I registered from safari with .java
extension but I cannot open for the same reason...Sigh
Someone can help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeee...thanx very much

Xcode works for tens of thousands of other people, therefore it must be YOU.

1. post a screen shot using grab,
2. post the error message it asks you to send to apple.
3. read the manual.

Steve

Kostas Michalopoulos

Hi, thanx for the answer..
Btw I'm trying to compile from the terminal, it's what I'm doing
but.....do you mean that i shouldn't use xcode at all...code the
SimpleRead.java directly on the terminal?? if you meant this, how can
I do pls?

You can use emacs:

emacs YourFile.java

or vi:

vi YourFile.java

or a nice GUI text editor, since these are a bit hard to use for many
people (altough Emacs comes with a nice tutorial). I would recommend to
use the jEdit editor:

http://www.jedit.org/

It contains some nice tools for Java development and the editor itself is
written in Java :).

Joshua Cranmer

Kostas said:
You can use emacs:

emacs YourFile.java

or vi:

vi YourFile.java

or a nice GUI text editor, since these are a bit hard to use for many
people (altough Emacs comes with a nice tutorial). I would recommend to
use the jEdit editor:

http://www.jedit.org/

It contains some nice tools for Java development and the editor itself is
written in Java :).
If you use the jEdit editor, I would recommend getting the plugins
Console, ErrorList, and ProjectViewer. Between the three of them, they
really make jEdit an excellent editor!