  1. jojo80011

    jojo80011 Guest

    What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?
    jojo80011, May 14, 2008

  2. jojo80011 wrote:
    > What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

    The one you know and like the best.

    Regards,
    Leonard

    --
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    -- Leonardo da Vinci
    Leonard Milcin, May 14, 2008

  3. jojo80011 wrote:
    > What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

    If you use Google Groups to search this newsgroup for IDE you'll locate
    prior extensive discussion of this subject.

    I bet Roedy's website has a page on it, google for Java Roedy IDE

    --
    RGB
    RedGrittyBrick, May 14, 2008
  4. jojo80011

    jojo80011 Guest

    On May 14, 8:42 am, RedGrittyBrick <>
    wrote:
    > jojo80011 wrote:
    > > What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

    > If you use Google Groups to search this newsgroup for IDE you'll locate
    > prior extensive discussion of this subject.
    >
    > I bet Roedy's website has a page on it, google for Java Roedy IDE
    >
    > --
    > RGB

    Has anyone used Netbeans?
    jojo80011, May 14, 2008
  5. jojo80011

    Jan Thomä Guest

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 06:33:18 -0700 (PDT) jojo80011 wrote:

    > What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

    He said "Jehovah"!
    Jan Thomä, May 14, 2008
  6. jojo80011

    Roedy Green Guest

    who said :

    >What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html

    Who is the best person for you to marry depends very much on you and
    your "budget". IDEs are similar.

    Happily you can take IDEs for an extended test drive before you
    decide.

    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, May 14, 2008
  7. "jojo80011" <> schreef in bericht
    > What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

    Hi,

    I use netbeans. A great IDE. It has all you need

    John
    Bruintje Beer, May 14, 2008
  8. jojo80011

    jojo80011 Guest

    Thanks to all of you for your input.

    Joe
    jojo80011, May 14, 2008
  9. jojo80011

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Wed, 14 May 2008, jojo80011 wrote:

    > What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

    IDEs are for the weak. Real programmers use the standard text editor and
    javac.

    And ed is the standard text editor.

    tom

    --
    Ed editor textorum probatissimus est -- Cicero, De officiis IV.7
    Tom Anderson, May 14, 2008
  10. jojo80011

    jojo80011 Guest

    I was looking for constructive comments, not smart-ass answers.

    jojo80011, May 14, 2008
  11. jojo80011

    Lord Zoltar Guest

    On May 14, 11:47 am, Tom Anderson <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 May 2008, jojo80011 wrote:
    > > What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

    > IDEs are for the weak. Real programmers use the standard text editor and
    > javac.
    >
    > And ed is the standard text editor.
    >
    > tom
    >
    > --
    > Ed editor textorum probatissimus est -- Cicero, De officiis IV.7

    Bah! *Real* Programmers use butterflies!

    http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/real_programmers.png
    Lord Zoltar, May 14, 2008
  12. jojo80011

    Lord Zoltar Guest

    On May 14, 1:27 pm, jojo80011 <> wrote:
    > I was looking for constructive comments, not smart-ass answers.

    Actually, a text editor and command prompt CAN be good. In my opinion,
    they're usually best when learning a new language, so as to get rid of
    most of the distractions and clutter an IDE would have.
    But since you asked for an IDE right away, you probably already know
    Java and know the difference between and IDE and a text editor /
    console.
    The "Best" IDE will depend on the type of applications you're
    developing. Do you need special plugins for some purpose that only one
    IDE has? What features of an IDE are more important than others?
    If time permits, try a few (Eclipse, NetBeans, IntelliJ, and more are
    probably listed on Roedy's website) and try build a simple app in each
    one. That might give you an idea how each one handles.
    I prefer the UI and behaviours of NetBeans over Eclipse, but Eclipse
    seems to have a much larger set of plugins.
    Lord Zoltar, May 14, 2008
  13. jojo80011

    Donkey Hot Guest

    jojo80011 <> wrote in news:38521f70-e887-4d09-9782-
    :

    > On May 14, 8:42 am, RedGrittyBrick <>
    > wrote:
    >> jojo80011 wrote:
    >> > What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

    >> If you use Google Groups to search this newsgroup for IDE you'll locate
    >> prior extensive discussion of this subject.
    >>
    >> I bet Roedy's website has a page on it, google for Java Roedy IDE
    >>
    >> --
    >> RGB

    > Has anyone used Netbeans?

    Yes. I use Netbeans, and I like it. It's great!

    But, as usual,YMMV.
    Donkey Hot, May 14, 2008
  14. jojo80011

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Wed, 14 May 2008, jojo80011 wrote:

    > I was looking for constructive comments, not smart-ass answers.

    You should have said!

    I'm ha-ha-only-serious, though. Personally, i can't stand IDEs, i just
    find they get in my way. I don't use ed, i do use a programmer's editor,
    but anything more sophisticated than that takes away more than it adds for
    me. Maybe i just haven't learned to use an IDE properly.

    tom

    > On May 14, 9:47 am, Tom Anderson <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 May 2008, jojo80011 wrote:
    >>> What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

    >> IDEs are for the weak. Real programmers use the standard text editor and
    >> javac.
    >>
    >> And ed is the standard text editor.

    --
    Hit to death in the future head
    Tom Anderson, May 14, 2008
  15. jojo80011

    Mark Space Guest

    Mark Space, May 14, 2008
  16. jojo80011

    Mark Space Guest

    Mark Space, May 14, 2008
  17. jojo80011 wrote:
    > I was looking for constructive comments, not smart-ass answers.

    Then here's a constructive comment:

    There is no `best' IDE. By definition, such a measure is subjective. The
    reason I may find IDE X to work the best for me may be the same reason
    that you despise IDE X.

    Also, such a question invokes matters of the highest order: religion.
    It's essentially asking for a vi-versus-emacs debate, er, war.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, May 14, 2008
  18. jojo80011

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    jojo80011 wrote:
    > What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

    Try a few and see what you prefer.

    Free ones include: Eclipse, NetBeans and JDeveloper.

    Or maybe the Eclipse clone Turbo JBuilder.

    And there are no cost reason not to try all of them.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 15, 2008
  19. jojo80011

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    jojo80011 wrote:
    > Has anyone used Netbeans?

    Estimated about 500000.

    And certainly several people in this forum.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 15, 2008
  20. jojo80011

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Lord Zoltar wrote:
    > Actually, a text editor and command prompt CAN be good. In my opinion,
    > they're usually best when learning a new language, so as to get rid of
    > most of the distractions and clutter an IDE would have.

    I agree.

    All developers should be able to develop using a text editor and
    command line build, because then they understand what their IDE
    is doing.

    And besides one can risk someday to be on a platform with
    no IDE.

    But if I have the choice I like to use an IDE, because I am
    a lazy bastard.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 15, 2008