Java IDE

RedGrittyBrick

jojo80011 said:
What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

If you use Google Groups to search this newsgroup for IDE you'll locate
prior extensive discussion of this subject.

I bet Roedy's website has a page on it, google for Java Roedy IDE

jojo80011

If you use Google Groups to search this newsgroup for IDE you'll locate
prior extensive discussion of this subject.

I bet Roedy's website has a page on it, google for Java Roedy IDE

Has anyone used Netbeans?

Tom Anderson

What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

IDEs are for the weak. Real programmers use the standard text editor and
javac.

And ed is the standard text editor.

tom

Lord Zoltar

I was looking for constructive comments, not smart-ass answers.

Actually, a text editor and command prompt CAN be good. In my opinion,
they're usually best when learning a new language, so as to get rid of
most of the distractions and clutter an IDE would have.
But since you asked for an IDE right away, you probably already know
Java and know the difference between and IDE and a text editor /
console.
The "Best" IDE will depend on the type of applications you're
developing. Do you need special plugins for some purpose that only one
IDE has? What features of an IDE are more important than others?
If time permits, try a few (Eclipse, NetBeans, IntelliJ, and more are
probably listed on Roedy's website) and try build a simple app in each
one. That might give you an idea how each one handles.
I prefer the UI and behaviours of NetBeans over Eclipse, but Eclipse
seems to have a much larger set of plugins.

Tom Anderson

I was looking for constructive comments, not smart-ass answers.

You should have said!

I'm ha-ha-only-serious, though. Personally, i can't stand IDEs, i just
find they get in my way. I don't use ed, i do use a programmer's editor,
but anything more sophisticated than that takes away more than it adds for
me. Maybe i just haven't learned to use an IDE properly.

tom

Joshua Cranmer

jojo80011 said:
I was looking for constructive comments, not smart-ass answers.

Then here's a constructive comment:

There is no `best' IDE. By definition, such a measure is subjective. The
reason I may find IDE X to work the best for me may be the same reason
that you despise IDE X.

Also, such a question invokes matters of the highest order: religion.
It's essentially asking for a vi-versus-emacs debate, er, war.

Arne Vajhøj

jojo80011 said:
What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

Try a few and see what you prefer.

Free ones include: Eclipse, NetBeans and JDeveloper.

Or maybe the Eclipse clone Turbo JBuilder.

And there are no cost reason not to try all of them.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Lord said:
Actually, a text editor and command prompt CAN be good. In my opinion,
they're usually best when learning a new language, so as to get rid of
most of the distractions and clutter an IDE would have.

I agree.

All developers should be able to develop using a text editor and
command line build, because then they understand what their IDE
is doing.

And besides one can risk someday to be on a platform with
no IDE.

But if I have the choice I like to use an IDE, because I am
a lazy bastard.

Arne