Java IDEs

Zachary Turner

I am new to Java, and am going to start learning it. What are my choices as
far as IDEs are concerned? Can someone list the major ones (free and not
free)? You don't need to say much about them, once I know the names I can
find info about them.

Thanks
Zach

Igor N. Kolomiyets

Zach,

if you're going to learn Java better do not use IDE at all. Trying to
code with vi or notepad depending on the platform you're in as well as
compiling and running your code from the command prompt will give you a
better taste of what is Java, how it works, what is classpath and so on.
Once you start feeling that you're comfortable with the language and
environment then it is probably a time to choose an IDE which is good
for you.
Anyway, there are two major free IDEs: NetBeans (Sun), Eclipse (IBM).
Among the commercial IDEs it is worth to look at:

1. IntelliJ IDEA
2. Borland JBuilder
3. Oracle JDeveloper

Best regards,
Igor.

Thomas Britton

Zachary said:
I am new to Java, and am going to start learning it. What are my choices as
far as IDEs are concerned? Can someone list the major ones (free and not
free)? You don't need to say much about them, once I know the names I can
find info about them.

This is an excellent one to get started with:

http://www.xemacs.org

The latest version comes prebundled with JDE* - the Java Development
Environment for Emacs - it should work out of the box with the latest
J2SDK from Sun.

*http://jdee.sunsite.dk/

/tom

Paul Robson

Igor said:
Zach,

if you're going to learn Java better do not use IDE at all. Trying to
code with vi or notepad depending on  the platform you're in as well as
compiling and running your code from the command prompt will give you a
better taste of what is Java, how it works, what is classpath and so on.
Once you start feeling that you're comfortable with the language and
environment then it is probably a time to choose an IDE which is good
for you.
Anyway, there are two major free IDEs: NetBeans (Sun), Eclipse (IBM).
Among the commercial IDEs it is worth to look at:

1. IntelliJ IDEA
2. Borland JBuilder
3. Oracle JDeveloper

If you're really a new programmer as well, more or less, BlueJ is worth a
look. It's not for any serious project, just for tinkering and
experimenting.

David Segall

Zachary Turner said:
I am new to Java, and am going to start learning it. What are my choices as
far as IDEs are concerned? Can someone list the major ones (free and not
free)? You don't need to say much about them, once I know the names I can
find info about them.

Thanks
Zach
I was moving from Visual Basic to Java so I demanded a "What You See
Is What You Get" Graphical User Interface builder. Price was a major
consideration. Apologies to the regulars in this group but here, once
again, are my findings.

Netbeans (www.netbeans.org) is free and Open Source. I think you will
find it the best choice. Borland's JBuilder Foundation
(http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation/) is also a free download.
Oracle's JDeveloper (http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/content.html)
is a free download but the license severely restricts what you can do
with programs you write if you do not pay for it. If you want to use
it commercially it is comparable to the "Enterprise Editions" of
JBuilder and Websphere and, at $1000.00, is much cheaper.

Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) is a popular Open Source IDE and there are
free or cheap plug-ins like
http://www.cloudgarden.com/jigloo/index.html,
http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html and
http://www.eclipse.org/vep/ that provide WYSIWYG GUI development.

Sun One Studio 4 Community Edition, which is derived from Netbeans, is
still available, without charge, from
http://jsecom16d.sun.com/ECom/EComA...I9-401-TL9M&TransactionId=try&LMLoadBalanced=
but has been superseded by Studio 5. Sun suggest you use Netbeans if
you want a free version.

IBM has a free version of Visual Age for Java at
http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.ns...=4589&Title=Overview&DPart=Overview&Doc4=4594.
It has a limit on the number of classes in your application and, in
any case, has been superseded by Websphere Studio Application
Developer (http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/studioappdev/).
Websphere is based on Eclipse but has many enhancements including a
WYSIWYG editor for GUI's. It is not free but a 60 day trial is
available.

The popular IntelliJ IDEA (http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/index.html)
also includes a GUI builder. It is not free but you can download a 30
day trial.

I believe that this is a complete list of free Java IDE's that include
a WYSIWYG GUI builder and contains references to all the commercial
vendors of such a product. Please submit a follow-up if you have a
correction.

Chris Smith

Igor said:
Anyway, there are two major free IDEs: NetBeans (Sun), Eclipse (IBM).
Among the commercial IDEs it is worth to look at:

1. IntelliJ IDEA
2. Borland JBuilder
3. Oracle JDeveloper

That's a good rundown of the heavyweight options. For the lighter-
weight area, JPadPro and JCreator are both worth a mention.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation