    find info about them.

    Thanks
    Zach

    Zachary Turner, May 2, 2004

    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=free+java+ide&btnG=Google+Search>

    Thomas Kellerer, May 2, 2004

  3. Zach,

    if you're going to learn Java better do not use IDE at all. Trying to
    code with vi or notepad depending on the platform you're in as well as
    compiling and running your code from the command prompt will give you a
    better taste of what is Java, how it works, what is classpath and so on.
    Once you start feeling that you're comfortable with the language and
    environment then it is probably a time to choose an IDE which is good
    for you.
    Anyway, there are two major free IDEs: NetBeans (Sun), Eclipse (IBM).
    Among the commercial IDEs it is worth to look at:

    1. IntelliJ IDEA
    2. Borland JBuilder
    3. Oracle JDeveloper

    Best regards,
    Igor.

    Igor N. Kolomiyets, May 2, 2004
  4. Zachary Turner wrote:

    > I am new to Java, and am going to start learning it. What are my choices as
    > far as IDEs are concerned? Can someone list the major ones (free and not
    > free)? You don't need to say much about them, once I know the names I can
    > find info about them.

    This is an excellent one to get started with:

    http://www.xemacs.org

    The latest version comes prebundled with JDE* - the Java Development
    Environment for Emacs - it should work out of the box with the latest
    J2SDK from Sun.

    *http://jdee.sunsite.dk/

    /tom

    Thomas Britton, May 2, 2004
  5. Zachary Turner

    Paul Robson Guest

    Igor N. Kolomiyets wrote:

    > Zach,
    >
    > if you're going to learn Java better do not use IDE at all. Trying to
    > code with vi or notepad depending on  the platform you're in as well as
    > compiling and running your code from the command prompt will give you a
    > better taste of what is Java, how it works, what is classpath and so on.
    > Once you start feeling that you're comfortable with the language and
    > environment then it is probably a time to choose an IDE which is good
    > for you.
    > Anyway, there are two major free IDEs: NetBeans (Sun), Eclipse (IBM).
    > Among the commercial IDEs it is worth to look at:
    >
    > 1. IntelliJ IDEA
    > 2. Borland JBuilder
    > 3. Oracle JDeveloper

    If you're really a new programmer as well, more or less, BlueJ is worth a
    look. It's not for any serious project, just for tinkering and
    experimenting.

    Paul Robson, May 2, 2004
  6. Zachary Turner

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, May 2, 2004
  7. Zachary Turner

    David Segall Guest

    "Zachary Turner" <> wrote:

    >I am new to Java, and am going to start learning it. What are my choices as
    >far as IDEs are concerned? Can someone list the major ones (free and not
    >free)? You don't need to say much about them, once I know the names I can
    >find info about them.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Zach

    I was moving from Visual Basic to Java so I demanded a "What You See
    Is What You Get" Graphical User Interface builder. Price was a major
    consideration. Apologies to the regulars in this group but here, once
    again, are my findings.

    Netbeans (www.netbeans.org) is free and Open Source. I think you will
    find it the best choice. Borland's JBuilder Foundation
    (http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation/) is also a free download.
    Oracle's JDeveloper (http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/content.html)
    is a free download but the license severely restricts what you can do
    with programs you write if you do not pay for it. If you want to use
    it commercially it is comparable to the "Enterprise Editions" of
    JBuilder and Websphere and, at $1000.00, is much cheaper.

    Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) is a popular Open Source IDE and there are
    free or cheap plug-ins like
    http://www.cloudgarden.com/jigloo/index.html,
    http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html and
    http://www.eclipse.org/vep/ that provide WYSIWYG GUI development.

    Sun One Studio 4 Community Edition, which is derived from Netbeans, is
    still available, without charge, from
    http://jsecom16d.sun.com/ECom/EComA...I9-401-TL9M&TransactionId=try&LMLoadBalanced=
    but has been superseded by Studio 5. Sun suggest you use Netbeans if
    you want a free version.

    IBM has a free version of Visual Age for Java at
    http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.ns...=4589&Title=Overview&DPart=Overview&Doc4=4594.
    It has a limit on the number of classes in your application and, in
    any case, has been superseded by Websphere Studio Application
    Developer (http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/studioappdev/).
    Websphere is based on Eclipse but has many enhancements including a
    WYSIWYG editor for GUI's. It is not free but a 60 day trial is
    available.

    The popular IntelliJ IDEA (http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/index.html)
    also includes a GUI builder. It is not free but you can download a 30
    day trial.

    I believe that this is a complete list of free Java IDE's that include
    a WYSIWYG GUI builder and contains references to all the commercial
    vendors of such a product. Please submit a follow-up if you have a
    correction.

    David Segall, May 2, 2004
  8. Zachary Turner

    Chris Smith Guest

    Igor N. Kolomiyets wrote:
    > Anyway, there are two major free IDEs: NetBeans (Sun), Eclipse (IBM).
    > Among the commercial IDEs it is worth to look at:
    >
    > 1. IntelliJ IDEA
    > 2. Borland JBuilder
    > 3. Oracle JDeveloper

    That's a good rundown of the heavyweight options. For the lighter-
    weight area, JPadPro and JCreator are both worth a mention.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, May 2, 2004