    session.
    Thanks for any and all help that is given.
    , Apr 25, 2006

  2. Rhino Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am currently in need of some help on a java based Sudoku board. There
    > are a couple of questions I have.
    > 1. How would I go about generating random boards for people to solve
    > rather than a select few that have already been completed and when the
    > inputer is completed with the board and hits the solve jbutton the
    > board is just checked against the already completed board. I would like
    > to know how I can get something that when the jcombobox has been
    > selected say medium and then the user clicks the newpuzzle jbutton it
    > would randomly generate a medium level of difficulty sudoku board. (I
    > am working with a jtextfields rather than a 2d array for a board.)
    > 2.I would like to implement a timer that when the user is complete
    > would save the time it took to solve and then put it into a
    > JTextfieldbox and would continue to keep all of the times from that
    > session.
    > Thanks for any and all help that is given.

    That questions was asked recently - a couple of weeks ago, give or take - on
    comp.lang.java.help and there were several detailed answers about techniques
    for generating Sudokus and verifying that they were valid. You might find
    some good suggestions in that thread.

    In fact, Sudoku creation and solving techniques have come up several times
    in both comp.lang.java.programmer and comp.lang.java.help so a Google Groups
    search of those newsgroups would probably find you lots of useful
    information.

    --
    Rhino
    Rhino, Apr 26, 2006

  3. Mickey Segal Guest

    Mickey Segal, Apr 26, 2006
  4. Oliver Wong Guest

    "Mickey Segal" <> wrote in message
    > BTW, the best Java Sudoku I've found on the Web is
    > http://www.by-art.com/sudoku/sudoku.php. Has anyone found a better one?

    Depends on your metric for better/best. I don't like the fact that it
    disallows you to write down certain numbers in the grid, preventing you from
    making a mistake.

    Given that Sudokus can be solved in an eye-blink by computers, isn't the
    "fun" of sudokus to "do them yourself"?

    (Also, why arbitrarily limit yourself to Java as opposed to say
    JavaScript or .NET?)

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Apr 26, 2006