Java install on Linux FC4 (Two very basic questions).

Discussion in 'Java' started by AnonymousFC4, Jul 28, 2005.

  1. AnonymousFC4

    AnonymousFC4 Guest

    Hello:
    This is very simple question... but the answer is not obvious to me!
    I am trying to compile and run very simple "hello World" kid, java
    programs.... and I am running into problems.

    I am having errors messages, bnoth at compile (for some programs), and run
    time.... and they are so far quite cryptic to me.

    For info:
    -------------
    $1 rpm -qa java*
    java-1_5_0-sun-1.5.0_01-5
    java_cup-manual-0.10-0.k.1jpp_2fc
    java_cup-javadoc-0.10-0.k.1jpp_2fc
    java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp_31rh.FC4.1
    java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-devel-1.4.2.0-40jpp_31rh.FC4.1
    java_cup-0.10-0.k.1jpp_2fc
    java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-src-1.4.2.0-40jpp_31rh.FC4.1
    -------------

    I have installed the Java run time engine as 1.5, but the rest is all 1.4,
    this could explain some problems (not the compile): I imagine the byte code
    generated by the compiler 1.4 is incompatible with the JRE (1.5)....

    Q1: Where could I find the proper RPMS for FC4 Java 1.5 install ?
    I (ave read thatSUN has problems).

    Q2: Where could I find the list of Java compiler, and run time errors, and
    how to interpret them?

    Thanks.
    =========

    AnonymousFC4, Jul 28, 2005

  2. AnonymousFC4 wrote:
    > Hello:
    > This is very simple question... but the answer is not obvious to me!
    > I am trying to compile and run very simple "hello World" kid, java
    > programs.... and I am running into problems.
    >
    > I am having errors messages, bnoth at compile (for some programs), and run
    > time.... and they are so far quite cryptic to me.
    >
    > For info:
    > -------------
    > $1 rpm -qa java*
    > java-1_5_0-sun-1.5.0_01-5
    > java_cup-manual-0.10-0.k.1jpp_2fc
    > java_cup-javadoc-0.10-0.k.1jpp_2fc
    > java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp_31rh.FC4.1
    > java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-devel-1.4.2.0-40jpp_31rh.FC4.1
    > java_cup-0.10-0.k.1jpp_2fc
    > java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-src-1.4.2.0-40jpp_31rh.FC4.1
    > -------------
    >
    > I have installed the Java run time engine as 1.5, but the rest is all 1.4,
    > this could explain some problems (not the compile): I imagine the byte code
    > generated by the compiler 1.4 is incompatible with the JRE (1.5)....
    >
    > Q1: Where could I find the proper RPMS for FC4 Java 1.5 install ?
    > I (ave read thatSUN has problems).
    >
    > Q2: Where could I find the list of Java compiler, and run time errors, and
    > how to interpret them?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > =========

    Go to the Sun web site, java.sun.com, and download the 1.5 SDK for
    Linux. You can use the rpm version if you don't have whatever it is
    installed in Linux that interferes with it. My laptop has a normal
    installation and it works fine. Otherwise use the non-rpm version and
    install it completely. Set up the $PATH and you should be good to go.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/

    Knute Johnson, Jul 28, 2005

  3. AnonymousFC4

    AnonymousFC4 Guest

    Knute:
    could not find the 1.5 SDK for Linux on the java.sun.com
    Could it also be called JDK ?

    AnonymousFC4, Jul 28, 2005
  4. AnonymousFC4 wrote:

    > Knute:
    > could not find the 1.5 SDK for Linux on the java.sun.com
    > Could it also be called JDK ?
    >
    > Knute Johnson wrote:
    >

    >>Go to the Sun web site, java.sun.com, and download the 1.5 SDK for
    >>Linux. You can use the rpm version if you don't have whatever it is
    >>installed in Linux that interferes with it. My laptop has a normal
    >>installation and it works fine. Otherwise use the non-rpm version and
    >>install it completely. Set up the $PATH and you should be good to go.

    That's it. They've changed the name that's all.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/

    Knute Johnson, Jul 29, 2005