Java install problem in linux mandrake

Discussion in 'Java' started by Gordon Beaton, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. On 27 Oct 2003 12:26:45 -0800, Jakob Lanstorp wrote:
    > When checking if java is installed in linux-mandrake, the answer is no:
    > [root@localhost Download]# rpm -q java
    > package java is not installed

    [...]
    > package j2sdk-1.4.2_02-fcs is already installed

    Package "java" is obviously not the same thing as pacakge "j2sdk".

    > Whats wrong ?

    Your question belongs in a linux help newsgroup, not a java
    programming newsgroup.

    rpm lets you uninstall the previous version, or force an upgrade.

    Read your documentation.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Oct 27, 2003

  2. I have downloaded and installed then latest version of java (1.4.2),
    like descriped at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/install-linux.html#install-rpm.

    When checking if java is installed in linux-mandrake, the answer is no:
    [root@localhost Download]# rpm -q java
    package java is not installed

    Then when trying to install the rpm, the answer is 'already installed'
    [root@localhost Download]# rpm -iv j2sdk-1_4_2_02-linux-i586.rpm
    Preparing packages for installation...
    package j2sdk-1.4.2_02-fcs is already installed

    Whats wrong ?
    How do I get the package install. I can install an old java version
    comming with mandrake 9.1, through rpmdrake, but I need to use the latest version.

    Thanx,
    Jakob

    Jakob Lanstorp, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Gordon Beaton

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On 27 Oct 2003 12:26:45 -0800, Jakob Lanstorp <> wrote:

    > I have downloaded and installed then latest version of java (1.4.2),
    > like descriped at
    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/install-linux.html#install-rpm.
    >
    > When checking if java is installed in linux-mandrake, the answer is no:
    > [root@localhost Download]# rpm -q java
    > package java is not installed
    >
    > Then when trying to install the rpm, the answer is 'already installed'
    > [root@localhost Download]# rpm -iv j2sdk-1_4_2_02-linux-i586.rpm
    > Preparing packages for installation...
    > package j2sdk-1.4.2_02-fcs is already installed
    >
    > Whats wrong ?
    > How do I get the package install. I can install an old java version
    > comming with mandrake 9.1, through rpmdrake, but I need to use the
    > latest version.

    You are using the wrong package name. It shows up for me if I do the
    following:

    rpm --query j2sdk

    Try "java -version" and see what comes back (if it's 1.4.2 it installed
    OK). The files will be under /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/ .

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    Empathy Software