Java installation on Win98

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mike, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I apologize if this is the wrong NG, but I've asked everywhere else I
    could think of ...

    I'm a long time programmer, but new to Java, and I recently installed
    Java WebStart on Win98FE. Almost immediately, I noticed that a lot of
    my .wav files were no longer working; some work perfectly, some are so
    quiet you can barely hear them, and others don't play any sound at
    all.

    I thought it was a coincidence, but I've done everything I can think
    of hardware-side, and nothing fixes the problem. No other software was
    installed within weeks of Java, either, so as odd as it seems, it's
    the only thing I can think of.

    Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on how to fix it?

    TIA,

    Mike

    PS, they don't play in Media Player or ATI FilePlayer, so I don't
    think it's the software. I've reinstalled both, anyway, with no
    effect.

    Mike, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Mike

    S. Balk Guest

    > I apologize if this is the wrong NG, but I've asked everywhere else I
    > could think of ...
    >
    > I'm a long time programmer, but new to Java, and I recently installed
    > Java WebStart on Win98FE. Almost immediately, I noticed that a lot of
    > my .wav files were no longer working; some work perfectly, some are so
    > quiet you can barely hear them, and others don't play any sound at
    > all.
    >
    > I thought it was a coincidence, but I've done everything I can think
    > of hardware-side, and nothing fixes the problem. No other software was
    > installed within weeks of Java, either, so as odd as it seems, it's
    > the only thing I can think of.
    >
    > Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on how to fix it?

    Uninstall Java and check for changes... anyway Java can't do such things as
    far as I know

    S. Balk, Aug 20, 2003