Java invoke a .NET Web method whose parameters are passed by reference

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Shadi Rafeh, Jun 9, 2006.

  1. Shadi Rafeh

    Shadi Rafeh Guest

    Hi,

    I have created a .NET web service that has several structures and
    webmethods. A sample web method might look like:

    // A web method that changes the variable values of the structures
    // passed. The structures are defined in the .NET web service.
    [WebMethod]
    public void ModifyStructures(ref myStruct1 ms1, ref myStruct2 ms2)
    {
    // Change the variable value of the structure ms1
    ms1.Attribute_1 = "new Value for 1";

    // Change the variable value of the structure ms2
    ms2.Attribute_1 = "new Value for 2";
    }

    That is I want to change the values of the variables of both structures
    and reflect back the changes to the web service consumer (client
    application). This can be easily done in a .NET client.

    However, I want to invoke the web service from a Java application, and
    the changes made by the web method are not reflected back in tha Java
    application. That is, after I create, using the Java application,
    instances of the structures, and invoke the web method shown above,
    however, nothing change.

    Is it possible for a java application to invoke a .NET web service
    whose method has parameters are passed by reference? Or is passing by
    reference in web methods a non-standard extension for web services?

    Thanks in advance,
    Shadi

    Shadi Rafeh, Jun 9, 2006