Java-Javascript-LiveConnect in 7.01

Ike

I'm using WinXp.....and...

The following was working in NS6.0, currently works in all flavors of MSIE,
but not longer seems to work in NS7.01. Essentially, my applet calls the JS
function getsQuery() embedded herein in this html page. Under 7.01 though,
its not being called.

I do NOT want to have to change to the <embed> or <object> tags here if I
dont have to - I would prefer <applet> as that works (at least used to) with
both NS and MSIE. Any ideas what I must do to get this to work with NS7.01 ?
Thanks, Ike

<BODY>
<script language="JavaScript"><!--
function getsQuery(){
var sQuery = location.search.substring(1);
return sQuery;
}
--></script>
<APPLET
CODE = "GG/GGUser.class"
CODEBASE = "http://ggrip.com"
MAYSCRIPT= "true"
ARCHIVE =
"http://ggrip.com/GGUser.jar,http://ggrip.com/skinlf.jar,http://ggrip.com/ac
tivation.jar,http://ggrip.com/mail.jar"
width=640 height=480 MAYSCRIPT></XMP>
<PARAM NAME = CODE VALUE = "GG/GGUser.class" >
<PARAM NAME = CODEBASE VALUE = "http://ggrip.com" >
<PARAM NAME = ARCHIVE VALUE =
"http://ggrip.com/GGUser.jar,http://ggrip.com/skinlf.jar,http://ggrip.com/ac
tivation.jar,http://ggrip.com/mail.jar" >
<PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet;version=1.4">
<PARAM NAME="MAYSCRIPT" VALUE="true">
<PARAM NAME="scriptable" VALUE="false">
</APPLET>
</BODY>

Brian Palmer

Ike said:
I do NOT want to have to change to the <embed> or <object> tags here if I
dont have to - I would prefer <applet> as that works (at least used to) with
both NS and MSIE. Any ideas what I must do to get this to work with NS7.01 ?
Thanks, Ike

One thing that occurs to me is your attributes look oddly
spaced. AFAIK, 'CODE = "http://ggrip.com"' should be
'CODE="http://ggrip.com"'; I don't see a grammar at the W3's site,
though :-(

But try eliminating the spaces before and after the equal signs, and
see if that helps. Netscape 7.01 is a little stricter about some
things than Netscape 6.

Andrew Thompson

Brian Palmer said:
One thing that occurs to me is your attributes look oddly
spaced. AFAIK, 'CODE = "http://ggrip.com"' should be
'CODE="http://ggrip.com"'; I don't see a grammar at the W3's site,
though :-(

But try eliminating the spaces before and after the equal signs, and
see if that helps. Netscape 7.01 is a little stricter about some
things than Netscape 6.

Which brings us to.. does your html even validate?
What is your URL?

M Cowperthwaite

Ike said:
The following was working in NS6.0, currently works in all flavors of
MSIE, but not longer seems to work in NS7.01. Essentially, my applet
calls the JS function getsQuery() embedded herein in this html page.
Under 7.01 though, its not being called.

I do NOT want to have to change to the <embed> or <object> tags here
if I dont have to - I would prefer <applet> as that works (at least
used to) with both NS and MSIE. Any ideas what I must do to get this
to work with NS7.01 ?
[code deleted]

I think your HTML page is more-or-less OK, if a little unorthodox.
There is a </xmp> in there which is totally superfluous, but it doesn't
affect the loading of the applet. Why are you creating Code and
Codebase <param>s when you also have them as attributes of the <applet>?
Why a Type <param>? You may have discovered a good reason for doing
these things by experimentation, but I don't see it.

Note that applets denoted by <applet>, when loaded in IE, will (attempt
to) run in the Microsoft JVM unless IE has been configured to use the
Sun Java by default (requires Java 1.3.1_01 or later). Of course, there
is no good form of <object> that works in all browsers either.

Does the user really need to have Java 1.4 to run your applet? I think
a common mistake in coding for the web is coding the page to claim a
particular Java version requirement when in fact a much older version
would suffice.

Have you tried making a much smaller applet that simply tests the
Java/JavaScript connection? Something you could post the source to?

Andrew Thompson

Ike said:
http://www.ggrip.com/GGUser.html

OK, quick check..
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.ggrip.com/GGUser.html
NO.

Let's try forcing doctype and charset
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.ggrip.com/GGUser.html&d
octype=HTML+4.01+Transitional&charset=utf-8+%28Unicode%2C+worldwide%29

5 errors (after assuming a doctype and charset)

No wonder browsers do not know what to do with it.
Fix your html first.

[ btw - your page actually froze my IE6 on XP, I
had to kill the program ..great work! ]