Java JDK installer's messy housekeeping

Roedy Green

My C: drive was getting very full and I decided to see what was
chewing up the space.

Three biggies were files like this
J2SE Development Kit 5.0 Update 5.msi

Those are windows install files. Surely they should be deleted after
the install. It is holding onto them even after the UNinstall!

Roedy Green

My C: drive was getting very full and I decided to see what was
chewing up the space.

Three biggies were files like this
J2SE Development Kit 5.0 Update 5.msi

Those are windows install files. Surely they should be deleted after
the install. It is holding onto them even after the UNinstall!

I discovered another great chunk of space on C: being taken up by
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base Images

It is storing a second copy of src.zip for example. Must Sun put this
stuff on C: which is often a small drive just for core programs so
that if the system is lost you don't lose everything if you have to
format it and start over.

Raymond DeCampo

Roedy said:
I discovered another great chunk of space on C: being taken up by
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base Images

It is storing a second copy of src.zip for example. Must Sun put this
stuff on C: which is often a small drive just for core programs so
that if the system is lost you don't lose everything if you have to
format it and start over.

That's the MS way! Put everything on C: in a folder with spaces in the
name. :)

Really, would it have killed them to call it Programs?

Ray

zero

I discovered another great chunk of space on C: being taken up by
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base Images

does the JDK or JRE actually use these files? Or can they be deleted
safely?