Java <--> JS applet communication problem with Firefox

Discussion in 'Java' started by andrewfsears@gmail.com, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I know that there is some discussion out there in regards to this, but
    I haven't been able to solve this problem: calling a function within
    the applet from JavaScript code.

    **Applet**:

    <!--[if !IE]> Firefox and others will use outer object -->
    <object classid="java:com.company.test.TheApplet.class"
    codebase="http://localhost:8080/test/classes/"
    name="theApplet" id="theApplet"
    type="application/x-java-applet"
    archive="../applet/jdom.jar, ../applet/plugin.jar, ..."
    height="300" width="450" >
    <param name="archive" value="../applet/jdom.jar,
    .../applet/plugin.jar, ..." />
    <param name="codebase" value="http://localhost:8080/test/classes/"
    />
    <param name="MAYSCRIPT" value="true" />
    <param name="scriptable" value="false" />
    <!--<![endif]-->
    <!-- MSIE (Microsoft Internet Explorer) will use inner object -->
    <object classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"
    name="theAppletIE" id="theAppletIE"
    codebase="http://java.sun.com/update/1.4.1/jinstall-1_4_1-windows-i586.cab"
    height="300" width="450" >
    <param name="code" value="com.company.test.TheApplet" />
    <param name="archive" value="../applet/jdom.jar,
    .../applet/plugin.jar, ..." />
    <param name="codebase" value="http://localhost:8080/test/classes/" />
    <param name = "mayscript" value = "true"/>
    <param name = "scriptable" value = "false"/>
    <strong>This browser does not have a Java Plug-in.<br /><a
    href="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/downloads/index.html">Get the
    latest Java Plug-in here.</a></strong>
    </object>
    <!--[if !IE]> close outer object -->
    </object>
    <!--<![endif]-->

    **JavaScript**:

    function loadAppletWithWait() {
    if (_isIE) appletObject = document.getElementById("theAppletIE");
    else appletObject = document.theApplet; //OR
    document.getElementById("theApplet");

    if (appletObject == null || appletObject == undefined) {
    setTimeout("loadAppletWithWait()", 2000);
    } else {
    appletObject.setupApplet("http://localhost:8080", "another param");

    This, like most other postings of similar discussion, will work in IE,
    but not Firefox. What happens is that it will get the object of the
    applet loaded into "appletObject". But when it gets to the function
    call (appletObject.setupApplet(...);) it will say
    "appletObject.setupApplet is not a function."

    Also, the Applet code uses JSObject to allow communication with the JS
    code.

    If anyone might have an idea why this is, all help would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance, Andy

    , Sep 11, 2006

    *
    > This, like most other postings of similar discussion, will work in IE,
    > but not Firefox.

    > If anyone might have an idea why this is, all help would be
    > appreciated.

    * The first thing I'd recommend for the sake of simplicity,
    is to make a 'stand-alone' version of the HTML targeted
    purely at the browser that shows problems.

    Only once you get the 'problem browser' code working
    should you then attempt to mix it in with other HTML
    (or IE conditional statements, etc.).

    Once you have a stand alone version, validate it,
    then upload it to a web site and give us the URL
    where we can see it crash.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Real Gagnon Guest

    > <param name="scriptable" value="false" />
    > If anyone might have an idea why this is, all help would be
    > appreciated.

    Try with

    <param name="scriptable" value="true" />

    Bye.
    --
    Real Gagnon from Quebec, Canada
    * Looking for Java or PB code examples ? Visit Real's How-to

    Real Gagnon, Sep 11, 2006