Java/JSP Back End Processing

Discussion in 'Java' started by Scott, May 27, 2004.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I am new to both Java & JSP and am working on a project. I've found
    that the best way to learn about a new language is to get involved in
    a project and work your way through it.
    What I am doing is this:

    I am working on a JSP based shopping cart that will be run on a local
    server. What I need to do is when the order is placed, prepare a
    receipt and print it out for shipping purposes.

    What approach would be best to go with this sort of task? Should this
    be coded into a JSP page or should I venture into the use of Java
    Beans? Or am I totally off base? Any direction here would be most
    helpful. I have done this sort of thing in the past using CGI and Perl
    but I am really interested in using JSP for this project due to it's
    scaleability and stability.

    Thanks for any and all suggestions.

    Scott.

    Scott, May 27, 2004

  2. Scott

    Chris Smith Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > I am working on a JSP based shopping cart that will be run on a local
    > server. What I need to do is when the order is placed, prepare a
    > receipt and print it out for shipping purposes.
    >
    > What approach would be best to go with this sort of task? Should this
    > be coded into a JSP page or should I venture into the use of Java
    > Beans? Or am I totally off base? Any direction here would be most
    > helpful. I have done this sort of thing in the past using CGI and Perl
    > but I am really interested in using JSP for this project due to it's
    > scaleability and stability.

    Web application code in Java runs on the server, so printing from the
    server is fairly simple. You're better off isolating that code outside
    of a JSP -- in fact, this is part of the processing step and should
    occur before the request ever sees a JSP. (See any description of the
    JSP "model 2" architecture for more details.)

    As for the printing itself, in Java 1.4 or later the javax.print package
    should be an easy way to accomplish this. There's a good bit to it, so
    your best bet is to read the API package-level documentation for the
    package, and follow the links from there to more detailed information
    and tutorials.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation