Java ME on PDAs.

Luke

Hello

I'd like to implement a commercial application on my PDA (Dell Axim
30). Of course this application should run on as much as other small
devices.
I have a lot of experice in programming java application, but I have
no experience on small devices. Well, I did some Internet Research and
now I am not sure if Java is the right decision.
First of all there are very few JVM (with CDC) that runs on my PDA
(http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~fittond/ppcjava.html). Secondly I was
suprised to read that Sun announced the EOL of their own
implementation.
Does this all means that this technology (Java on PocketPC) is about
to die? What do U think, would it be better to implement the
application with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008?

Thanks,
Luke

Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Luke said:
Hello

I'd like to implement a commercial application on my PDA (Dell Axim
30). Of course this application should run on as much as other small
devices.
I have a lot of experice in programming java application, but I have
no experience on small devices. Well, I did some Internet Research and
now I am not sure if Java is the right decision.
First of all there are very few JVM (with CDC) that runs on my PDA
(http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~fittond/ppcjava.html). Secondly I was
suprised to read that Sun announced the EOL of their own
implementation.
Does this all means that this technology (Java on PocketPC) is about
to die? What do U think, would it be better to implement the
application with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008?

Thanks,
Luke
You could first try to get a HelloWorld to run on your device (or a
simulator, if available) and go from there. Just because they won't
support the technology doesn't mean it will not work anymore
(hopefully).

Kind of OT, but todays portable devices are turning into actual
computers, so maybe vendors like Sun think it's Ok to start dropping
chunks instead of crumbs (bad translation of the german saying "klotzen,
nicht kleckern").

(I do support optimizing memory use)

Lew

Sabine said:
Kind of OT, but todays portable devices are turning into actual
computers, so maybe vendors like Sun think it's Ok to start dropping
chunks instead of crumbs (bad translation of the german saying "klotzen,
nicht kleckern").

www.freetranslation.com renders that as "hulk, do not spill", or more loosely,
"bulk, not spillover", but I trust your rendition more, so I'm going to
loosely adapt your translation to either, "loaves, not crumbs", or "steins (or
barrels), not drippings".