    Thanks,
    John

    , Jun 28, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi Everybody!
    >
    > I need to move data between Java and Excel (mostly read data from Excel
    > files for now). I am currently looking at POI and JExcelApi. Does
    > anyone have any experience with either of these? Horror stories? It
    > saved the day stories? What does Open Office use?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    I'm searching google and most of the top hits are pay products.

    Typically that means that your only real option is to pay for something.
    But it looks like you are already considering that.

    Now you could do what I have done and just export a comma delimited file and
    parse that.

    --
    LTP

    :)

    Luc The Perverse, Jun 28, 2006

  3. lordy Guest

    On 2006-06-28, Luc The Perverse <> wrote:
    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hi Everybody!
    >>
    >> I need to move data between Java and Excel (mostly read data from Excel
    >> files for now).

    > I'm searching google and most of the top hits are pay products.
    >
    > Typically that means that your only real option is to pay for something.
    > But it looks like you are already considering that.

    Excel->odbc->jdbc->java ??

    Lordy

    lordy, Jun 28, 2006
  4. JScoobyCed Guest

    lordy wrote:

    > Excel->odbc->jdbc->java ??

    Have you ever triied it? I used to try it to read a MS Excel 97. It
    didn't recognize it (the Exception was something about no table found in
    the file). And if you want to read a MS Excel format generated by a
    third party software, you'd better pray it is not a Binary File Format
    (before MS Excel 95).

    http://udk.openoffice.org shows a Java API. I don't know if you need to
    pay for it.

    --
    JSC

    JScoobyCed, Jun 28, 2006

    Thanks for the help everybody!

    I don't want to use the save as csv option as the problem I have is
    that I have a large number of existing files that I need to read and I
    don't want to manually open each one and do a save as csv. Thanks for
    the uno tip. I'll let you know how I make out.

    John

    , Jun 28, 2006
  6. lordy Guest

    On 2006-06-28, JScoobyCed <> wrote:
    > lordy wrote:
    >>
    >> Excel->odbc->jdbc->java ??

    > Have you ever triied it?

    Thankfully not :)

    > http://udk.openoffice.org shows a Java API. I don't know if you need to
    > pay for it.

    It does sounds sensible to look at integration possibilities using OpenOffice.

    Lordy

    lordy, Jun 28, 2006
  7. IchBin Guest

    lordy wrote:
    > On 2006-06-28, JScoobyCed <> wrote:
    >> lordy wrote:
    >>> Excel->odbc->jdbc->java ??

    >> Have you ever triied it?

    > Thankfully not :)
    >
    >> http://udk.openoffice.org shows a Java API. I don't know if you need to
    >> pay for it.

    Looks like it is free..

    > It does sounds sensible to look at integration possibilities using OpenOffice.
    >
    > Lordy

    Thanks in Advance...

    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

    IchBin, Jun 28, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > Hi Everybody!
    >
    > I need to move data between Java and Excel (mostly read data from Excel
    > files for now). I am currently looking at POI and JExcelApi. Does
    > anyone have any experience with either of these? Horror stories? It
    > saved the day stories? What does Open Office use?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    I've used jExcelAPI to write a couple of apps that processed data from
    Excel 2000 files. It's fairly fast and easy to use, at least on the
    files that I have to process. I did some experimenting on writing files,
    and at least for very simple files it was OK.

    Not tried POI, but I imagine that's had more development seeing as it's
    part of Apache.

    HTH

    --
    TechBookReport Java http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

    TechBookReport, Jun 29, 2006

    Hi Everybody!
    I am using HSSFSerializer - POI for last two years .
    Its basically XML - xslt--> gnumeric format xml --> HSSFSerializer -- >
    Excel.
    Charting capabilities are missing but good thing is macros are
    preserved while reading Excel using POI and it solves my problem.

    -neoAshu

    TechBookReport wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi Everybody!
    > >
    > > I need to move data between Java and Excel (mostly read data from Excel
    > > files for now). I am currently looking at POI and JExcelApi. Does
    > > anyone have any experience with either of these? Horror stories? It
    > > saved the day stories? What does Open Office use?
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > John
    > >

    > I've used jExcelAPI to write a couple of apps that processed data from
    > Excel 2000 files. It's fairly fast and easy to use, at least on the
    > files that I have to process. I did some experimenting on writing files,
    > and at least for very simple files it was OK.
    >
    > Not tried POI, but I imagine that's had more development seeing as it's
    > part of Apache.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > TechBookReport Java http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html