Java MS Excel read write question

grasp06110

Hi Everybody!

I need to move data between Java and Excel (mostly read data from Excel
files for now). I am currently looking at POI and JExcelApi. Does
anyone have any experience with either of these? Horror stories? It
saved the day stories? What does Open Office use?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Luc The Perverse

Hi Everybody!

I need to move data between Java and Excel (mostly read data from Excel
files for now). I am currently looking at POI and JExcelApi. Does
anyone have any experience with either of these? Horror stories? It
saved the day stories? What does Open Office use?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm searching google and most of the top hits are pay products.

Typically that means that your only real option is to pay for something.
But it looks like you are already considering that.

Now you could do what I have done and just export a comma delimited file and
parse that.

lordy

I'm searching google and most of the top hits are pay products.

Typically that means that your only real option is to pay for something.
But it looks like you are already considering that.

Excel->odbc->jdbc->java ??Lordy

JScoobyCed

lordy said:
Excel->odbc->jdbc->java ??

Have you ever triied it? I used to try it to read a MS Excel 97. It
didn't recognize it (the Exception was something about no table found in
the file). And if you want to read a MS Excel format generated by a
third party software, you'd better pray it is not a Binary File Format
(before MS Excel 95).

http://udk.openoffice.org shows a Java API. I don't know if you need to
pay for it.

grasp06110

Thanks for the help everybody!

I don't want to use the save as csv option as the problem I have is
that I have a large number of existing files that I need to read and I
don't want to manually open each one and do a save as csv. Thanks for
the uno tip. I'll let you know how I make out.

John

IchBin

lordy said:
Thankfully not :)

Looks like it is free..
It does sounds sensible to look at integration possibilities using OpenOffice.

Lordy

Thanks in Advance...

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

TechBookReport

Hi Everybody!

I need to move data between Java and Excel (mostly read data from Excel
files for now). I am currently looking at POI and JExcelApi. Does
anyone have any experience with either of these? Horror stories? It
saved the day stories? What does Open Office use?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

I've used jExcelAPI to write a couple of apps that processed data from
Excel 2000 files. It's fairly fast and easy to use, at least on the
files that I have to process. I did some experimenting on writing files,
and at least for very simple files it was OK.

Not tried POI, but I imagine that's had more development seeing as it's
part of Apache.

HTH

neoashu

Hi Everybody!
I am using HSSFSerializer - POI for last two years .
Its basically XML - xslt--> gnumeric format xml --> HSSFSerializer -- >
Excel.
Charting capabilities are missing but good thing is macros are
preserved while reading Excel using POI and it solves my problem.

-neoAshu