Java Networking

Neo

Hello
I have written a program in java in which there are two classes
Server(Server Socket) & Client(Socket). My question is that when I
create a server socket on my computer, client from any part of the
world who knows my IP address and port no. can connect to that server
socket. if not then what is the appropriate solution for them residing
anywhere on the globe.
Please any kind of help is really appreciated. I am really in trouble.
Thanks.

Lothar Kimmeringer

Neo said:
My question is that when I
create a server socket on my computer, client from any part of the
world who knows my IP address and port no. can connect to that server
socket.

Depends. You can bind your ServerSocket to a specific network
that might be restricted only to your local network (127.0.0.1
for example). The access to your ServerSocket might also be
restricted by firewalls or other techniques.

So your question can't be answered simply by yes or no, but if
you open a ServerSocket without specifying an IP-address, the
ServerSocket itself is accepting connections coming from all
network-interfaces. If your clients can reach these interfaces
you have to check in addition to that.
if not then what is the appropriate solution for them residing
anywhere on the globe.

Not sure what you mean, maybe you should question again in a
more detailed manner, especially what you want to be able to
do with your application.

Regards, Lothar
--
Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail: (e-mail address removed)

questions!

Martin Gregorie

Neo said:
Hello
I have written a program in java in which there are two classes
Server(Server Socket) & Client(Socket). My question is that when I
create a server socket on my computer, client from any part of the
world who knows my IP address and port no. can connect to that server
socket. if not then what is the appropriate solution for them residing
anywhere on the globe.

So what happened when you tried connecting to it:
- from another process on your computer?
- from another computer on your network?
- from a friend's computer?

Come back here when you've tried this.

Neo

Martin said:
So what happened when you tried connecting to it:
- from another process on your computer?
- from another computer on your network?
- from a friend's computer?
I have tried in my own computer. It works fine. I have tried on LAN it
worked fine. Now question is that if i try in on a friend computer or i
give you my client program and you run on your pc where ever you are
Will Client and Server be connected. Please help me.|

Knute Johnson

Neo said:
I have tried in my own computer. It works fine. I have tried on LAN it
worked fine. Now question is that if i try in on a friend computer or i
give you my client program and you run on your pc where ever you are
Will Client and Server be connected. Please help me.|

Yes if there are no firewalls or other restrictions in the way, the
client, knowing your IP address and the correct port, may connect from
anywhere on the net. That's how it works :).