Java noob looking for in depth highly technical tutorials

Discussion in 'Java' started by supemoy@gmail.com, Jul 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
    decided to add Java to my list of languages.
    However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
    of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
    geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
    understanding of java's basics.

    Does anyone know of a good java primer geared towards someone with a
    similar skillset to my own?

    Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
    what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
    for hassling the news group without doing any research.
    I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
    bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.

    Thanks in advance,
    --John
    , Jul 6, 2007

  2. Sanjay Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
    > decided to add Java to my list of languages.
    > However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
    > of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
    > geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
    > understanding of java's basics.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good java primer geared towards someone with a
    > similar skillset to my own?
    >
    > Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
    > what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
    > for hassling the news group without doing any research.
    > I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
    > bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > --John

    why don't you read something like a developers guide or J2SE guide or
    skip the parts that you already know from a book which is too
    elementary. In my opinion there is no such perfect book that suits to
    your exact needs. At least I never came across a programming book that
    gives me what I want.
    Sanjay, Jul 6, 2007

  3. wrote:
    > Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
    > decided to add Java to my list of languages.
    > However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
    > of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
    > geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
    > understanding of java's basics.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good java primer geared towards someone with a
    > similar skillset to my own?
    >
    > Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
    > what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
    > for hassling the news group without doing any research.
    > I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
    > bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.

    Java in a Nutshell? Might be enough to get you started. The Java
    Cookbook also isn't bad.

    Mark
    Mark Clements, Jul 6, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
    > decided to add Java to my list of languages.
    > However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
    > of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
    > geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
    > understanding of java's basics.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good java primer geared towards someone with a
    > similar skillset to my own?
    >
    > Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
    > what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
    > for hassling the news group without doing any research.
    > I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
    > bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > --John

    Have you looked at the recommendations on TechBookReport
    (http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html). There's a section of
    recommendations for programmers coming to Java from other languages...

    Pan

    --
    TechBookReport - http://www.techbookreport.com
    TechBookReport, Jul 6, 2007
  5. kaldrenon Guest

    On Jul 6, 12:01 am, "" <> wrote:
    > Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
    > decided to add Java to my list of languages.
    > However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
    > of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
    > geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
    > understanding of java's basics.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good java primer geared towards someone with a
    > similar skillset to my own?
    >
    > Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
    > what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
    > for hassling the news group without doing any research.
    > I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
    > bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > --John

    I've heard good things about Bruce Eckel's _Thinking in Java_,
    although I heard from one source that is geared more toward switching
    to Java from C++. The third edition is available online for free at
    http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

    -Andrew
    kaldrenon, Jul 6, 2007
  6. Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 04:01:00 -0000, ""
    said :

    >Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
    >what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
    >for hassling the news group without doing any research.
    >I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
    >bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.

    Check out you local bookstore books with titles similar to "Java for
    C programmers".

    I came to Java through C then C++ myself. You might find the
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gotchas.html tutorial will be fruitful.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Jul 6, 2007
  7. kaldrenon <> wrote:

    > On Jul 6, 12:01 am, "" <> wrote:

    > I've heard good things about Bruce Eckel's _Thinking in Java_,
    > although I heard from one source that is geared more toward switching
    > to Java from C++. The third edition is available online for free at
    > http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

    I found "Thinking in Java" to be very helpful in learning the language
    from a C and C++ background, and I imagine it's a good place for
    anyone with programming experience to start. I would personally
    recommend ponying up the cash for the non-free fourth edition,
    however, as it covers the major Java 5 language updates, which are
    really not optional these days.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Jul 6, 2007

    Thank you everyone, several of these leads look really promising.

    --John
    , Jul 6, 2007
  9. Twisted Guest

    On Jul 6, 12:01 am, "" <> wrote:
    > Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
    > decided to add Java to my list of languages.
    > However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
    > of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
    > geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
    > understanding of java's basics.

    And most of the responses evilly push you toward various things you'd
    have to pay to read.

    Try Sun's own Java tutorials, at java.sun.com (use Google; I can't
    remember the exact URL offhand). They're good and better yet, they're
    free. If you still need more after that that the tutorial and the API
    docs (also free) can't satisfy, THEN contemplate possibly buying a
    book or something.
    Twisted, Jul 6, 2007
  10. JT Guest

    JT, Jul 7, 2007