    common areas concerning websites.

    Is there a Java Help file that allows me to search through the definitions
    that will lead me to the Object (with examples)?

    JCO, Aug 25, 2004

  2. JCO

    Frank Guest

    JCO wrote:
    > I'm a C++ programmer. When I program I use Visual Studio for my environment
    > & can easily get help with the Object Names and their Definitions (what they
    > do). Java (or JavaScript) has nearly the same syntax, however; I don't know
    > where to go to get a list of all objects and definitions. I do my website
    > in FrontPage. All website end up with JavaScript as part of the code. I
    > purchased a JavaScript book, it simply has examples of code in several
    > common areas concerning websites.
    >
    > Is there a Java Help file that allows me to search through the definitions
    > that will lead me to the Object (with examples)?

    "JavaScript has nothing to do with Java, other than their similiar
    names. JavaScript, originally LiveScript, "was renamed by Netscape
    marketers who licenced the name to ride Java's Buzz" (Wired, July 2002,
    pg. 61). Javascript is actually an offshoot that sprung from both C++
    and ANSI C (C89). JScript and ECMA Script sprung from Javascript. "
    --quote from somewhere

    Frank, Aug 25, 2004

  3. JCO wrote:

    > I'm a C++ programmer. When I program I use Visual Studio for my environment
    > & can easily get help with the Object Names and their Definitions (what they
    > do). Java (or JavaScript) has nearly the same syntax, however; I don't know
    > where to go to get a list of all objects and definitions. I do my website
    > in FrontPage. All website end up with JavaScript as part of the code. I
    > purchased a JavaScript book, it simply has examples of code in several
    > common areas concerning websites.
    >
    > Is there a Java Help file that allows me to search through the definitions
    > that will lead me to the Object (with examples)?

    Java and Javascript have very little to do with each other.

    For Java, there is a very good API documentation to be found at
    (and downloadable from) http://java.sun.com/docs/index.html
    IDEs such as eclipse or Netbeans have this integrated for
    convenient access quite similar to Visual Studio.

    Quite likely, something similar exists for Javascript, but this
    is the wrong group to ask for it.

    Michael Borgwardt, Aug 25, 2004
  4. JCO

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Michael Borgwardt wrote:

    > JCO wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a C++ programmer. When I program I use Visual Studio for my
    >> environment & can easily get help with the Object Names and their
    >> Definitions (what they
    >> do). Java (or JavaScript) has nearly the same syntax, however; I don't
    >> know
    >> where to go to get a list of all objects and definitions.

    And I want a list of the traits common to chestnut horses and horse
    chestnuts. It's the same words, so it must be the same thing, right?

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 25, 2004
  5. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:27:23 +0200, Michael Borgwardt wrote:

    >> ..list of all objects and definitions.

    > Quite likely, something similar exists for Javascript, but this
    > is the wrong group to ask for it.

    I wish! There are various docs put out by the makers
    of this, that (and the other) browser, but no single
    reference to say '(a) is valid, (b) is not'.

    I rely mostly on the expertise of the JS gurus ..
    <http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.lang.javascript>
    ...to help me sort it's arcane peculiarities
    and the inherent cross-browser differences.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 25, 2004
  6. JCO

    Bryce Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:16:34 GMT, " JCO" <>
    wrote:

    >All website end up with JavaScript as part of the code. I
    >purchased a JavaScript book, it simply has examples of code in several
    >common areas concerning websites.
    >
    >Is there a Java Help file that allows me to search through the definitions
    >that will lead me to the Object (with examples)?

    You looking for Java or Javascript?

    For Java, you can get the official Javadoc API's at java.sun.com

    For Javascript, I have no idea. Java != Javascript, and there are
    several standards, and browser implementations....

    --
    now with more cowbell

    Bryce, Aug 25, 2004
  7. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > I wish! There are various docs put out by the makers
    > of this, that (and the other) browser, but no single
    > reference to say '(a) is valid, (b) is not'.

    Sure there is:

    http://www.el-mundo.es/internet/ecmascript.html
    http://www.w3.org/DOM/

    The only problem is that the different browsers' implementations
    diverge in various ways from the standards.

    Michael Borgwardt, Aug 26, 2004
  8. On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:18:37 +0200, Michael Borgwardt wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> I wish! There are various docs put out by the makers
    >> of this, that (and the other) browser, but no single
    >> reference to say '(a) is valid, (b) is not'.

    > Sure there is:
    >
    > http://www.el-mundo.es/internet/ecmascript.html
    > http://www.w3.org/DOM/

    Glad to have been proven wrong on that one,
    the W3C DOM reference looks particualrly handy.. :)

    > The only problem is that the different browsers' implementations
    > diverge in various ways from the standards.

    Ah well.. The world is not a perfect place,
    but you can always use JS 'feature detection'
    to cover most possibilities.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 26, 2004