Java on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

jgroshan

My computer is running 64 bit windows professional. I have installed windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please tell me which group is more appropriate.

Arne Vajhøj

My computer is running 64 bit windows professional. I have installed
windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
tell me which group is more appropriate.

You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

Arne

Lew

Arne said:
jgroshan said:
My computer is running 64 bit windows [sic] professional [sic]. I have installed
windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
tell me which group is more appropriate.
Yes.

You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

Or 64-bit.
You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

"the 7"?

Joerg Meier

Arne said:
jgroshan said:
My computer is running 64 bit windows [sic] professional [sic]. I have installed
windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
tell me which group is more appropriate.
You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.
Or 64-bit.

I'm nearly certain you cannot install Java 64 bit on a 32 bit operating
system. Can you back that claim up with any evidence ?

The Windows 7 64 bit host.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

Lew

Joerg said:
Lew said:
Arne said:
jgroshan wrote:
My computer is running 64 bit windows [sic] professional [sic]. I haveinstalled
windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
tell me which group is more appropriate.
You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.
Or 64-bit.

I'm nearly certain you cannot install Java 64 bit on a 32 bit operating
system. Can you back that claim up with any evidence ?

Who's talking about 32-bit OSes?

I never claimed you could run a 64-bit Java on a 32-bit OS.
The Windows 7 64 bit host.

The OP never said it was Windows 7.

Arne Vajhøj

Arne said:
jgroshan said:
My computer is running 64 bit windows [sic] professional [sic]. I have installed
windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
tell me which group is more appropriate.
Yes.

You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

Or 64-bit.
No.
You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

"the 7"?

The Windows 7 he is asking about.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Joerg said:
Lew said:
Arne Vajhøj wrote:
jgroshan wrote:
My computer is running 64 bit windows [sic] professional [sic]. I have installed
windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
tell me which group is more appropriate.
You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.
Or 64-bit.

I'm nearly certain you cannot install Java 64 bit on a 32 bit operating
system. Can you back that claim up with any evidence ?

Who's talking about 32-bit OSes?

OP

"I have installed windows virtual pc which runs windows XP"

Combined with the knowledge that the Windows Virtual PC to Windows 7
Proffessional Edition only support 32 bit guest OS and comes with
a license for 32 bit Windows XP Professional.
I never claimed you could run a 64-bit Java on a 32-bit OS.

You did. Maybe unintentional, but still.
The OP never said it was Windows 7.

What is the subject of the thread?

Arne

Lew

Arne said:
OP

"I have installed windows virtual pc which runs windows XP"

Combined with the knowledge that the Windows Virtual PC to Windows 7
Proffessional Edition only support 32 bit guest OS and comes with
a license for 32 bit Windows XP Professional.

You did. Maybe unintentional, but still.

No, I didn't. I erroneously claimed that the VM would run a 64-bit XP.
What is the subject of the thread?

This is why we tell people to put all relevant information in the body of their post.

Arne Vajhøj

No, I didn't. I erroneously claimed that the VM would run a 64-bit XP.

I am sure that was what in your mind.

But someone asked what Java could run on something that people
with knowledge about Windows know is 32 bit, I said that he could
install 32 bit Java and you claimed that he could do 64 bit as well.

Arne

Joerg Meier

I'm wrong.
I read the body of posts and usually don't pay attention to the title.
that bit me this time.

In your defense, when you asked, I was baffled as to why I thought it was
Windows 7, and read the OP twice, before starting to write an apology of
myself, until I saw Arne's post ;)

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg