  1. Guest

    My computer is running 64 bit windows professional. I have installed windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please tell me which group is more appropriate.
    , May 2, 2013

  2. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 5/1/2013 10:02 PM, wrote:
    > My computer is running 64 bit windows professional. I have installed
    > windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
    > machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
    > tell me which group is more appropriate.

    You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

    You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 2, 2013

  3. Lew Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > jgroshan wrote:
    >> My computer is running 64 bit windows [sic] professional [sic]. I have installed
    >> windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
    >> machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
    >> tell me which group is more appropriate.

    Yes.

    > You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

    Or 64-bit.

    > You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

    "the 7"?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, May 2, 2013
  4. Joerg Meier Guest

    On Thu, 2 May 2013 12:19:32 -0700 (PDT), Lew wrote:

    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> jgroshan wrote:
    >>> My computer is running 64 bit windows [sic] professional [sic]. I have installed
    >>> windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
    >>> machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
    >>> tell me which group is more appropriate.

    >> You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

    > Or 64-bit.

    I'm nearly certain you cannot install Java 64 bit on a 32 bit operating
    system. Can you back that claim up with any evidence ?

    >> You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

    > "the 7"?

    The Windows 7 64 bit host.

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    ungelesen.
    Joerg Meier, May 2, 2013
  5. Lew Guest

    Joerg Meier wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    >>> You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

    >> Or 64-bit.

    > I'm nearly certain you cannot install Java 64 bit on a 32 bit operating
    > system. Can you back that claim up with any evidence ?

    Who's talking about 32-bit OSes?

    I never claimed you could run a 64-bit Java on a 32-bit OS.

    >>> You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

    >> "the 7"?

    > The Windows 7 64 bit host.

    The OP never said it was Windows 7.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, May 2, 2013
  6. Lew Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > The OP never said it was Windows 7.

    I'm wrong.

    I read the body of posts and usually don't pay attention to the title.
    that bit me this time.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, May 2, 2013
  7. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 5/2/2013 3:19 PM, Lew wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> jgroshan wrote:
    >>> My computer is running 64 bit windows [sic] professional [sic]. I have installed
    >>> windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
    >>> machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
    >>> tell me which group is more appropriate.

    > Yes.
    >
    >> You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

    > Or 64-bit.

    No.

    >> You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

    > "the 7"?

    The Windows 7 he is asking about.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 3, 2013
  8. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 5/2/2013 4:52 PM, Lew wrote:
    > Joerg Meier wrote:

    >>> Or 64-bit.

    >> I'm nearly certain you cannot install Java 64 bit on a 32 bit operating
    >> system. Can you back that claim up with any evidence ?

    > Who's talking about 32-bit OSes?

    OP

    "I have installed windows virtual pc which runs windows XP"

    Combined with the knowledge that the Windows Virtual PC to Windows 7
    Proffessional Edition only support 32 bit guest OS and comes with
    a license for 32 bit Windows XP Professional.

    > I never claimed you could run a 64-bit Java on a 32-bit OS.

    You did. Maybe unintentional, but still.

    >>> "the 7"?

    >> The Windows 7 64 bit host.

    > The OP never said it was Windows 7.

    What is the subject of the thread?

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 3, 2013
  9. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 5/2/2013 5:01 PM, Lew wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> The OP never said it was Windows 7.

    > I'm wrong.
    >
    > I read the body of posts and usually don't pay attention to the title.
    > that bit me this time.

    Attention to detail!

    :)

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 3, 2013
  10. Lew Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Lew wrote:
    >>> The OP never said it was Windows 7.

    >> I'm wrong.
    >>
    >> I read the body of posts and usually don't pay attention to the title.
    >> that bit me this time.

    > Attention to detail!
    >
    > :)

    You mean like your attention to the detail that I'd admitted my error before you posted
    a correction to me twice?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, May 3, 2013
  11. Lew Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Who's talking about 32-bit OSes?

    > OP
    >
    > "I have installed windows virtual pc which runs windows XP"
    >
    > Combined with the knowledge that the Windows Virtual PC to Windows 7
    > Proffessional Edition only support 32 bit guest OS and comes with
    > a license for 32 bit Windows XP Professional.
    >
    >> I never claimed you could run a 64-bit Java on a 32-bit OS.

    > You did. Maybe unintentional, but still.

    No, I didn't. I erroneously claimed that the VM would run a 64-bit XP.

    >> The OP never said it was Windows 7.

    > What is the subject of the thread?

    This is why we tell people to put all relevant information in the body of their post.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, May 3, 2013
  12. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 5/2/2013 9:18 PM, Lew wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> Lew wrote:
    >>> Who's talking about 32-bit OSes?

    >> OP
    >>
    >> "I have installed windows virtual pc which runs windows XP"
    >>
    >> Combined with the knowledge that the Windows Virtual PC to Windows 7
    >> Proffessional Edition only support 32 bit guest OS and comes with
    >> a license for 32 bit Windows XP Professional.
    >>
    >>> I never claimed you could run a 64-bit Java on a 32-bit OS.

    >> You did. Maybe unintentional, but still.

    > No, I didn't. I erroneously claimed that the VM would run a 64-bit XP.

    I am sure that was what in your mind.

    But someone asked what Java could run on something that people
    with knowledge about Windows know is 32 bit, I said that he could
    install 32 bit Java and you claimed that he could do 64 bit as well.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 3, 2013
  13. Joerg Meier Guest

    On Thu, 2 May 2013 14:01:16 -0700 (PDT), Lew wrote:

    > Lew wrote:
    >> The OP never said it was Windows 7.

    > I'm wrong.

    > I read the body of posts and usually don't pay attention to the title.
    > that bit me this time.

    In your defense, when you asked, I was baffled as to why I thought it was
    Windows 7, and read the OP twice, before starting to write an apology of
    myself, until I saw Arne's post ;)

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    ungelesen.