Java & OpenOffice

ttrifonov

Hello,

does anybody know any lib for using OpenOffice documents from Java?

Thanks in advance

The Magpie

ttrifonov said:
Hello,

does anybody know any lib for using OpenOffice documents from Java?

Thanks in advance
The SDK provided by Open Office will do fine.

Roedy Green

You can use OpenOffice's SDK
http://udk.openoffice.org/

I had a look at their website and it has the typical unixoid approach,
leaping into telling you how it works without first telling you what
it is for other than in grand, abstract and sweeping terms that it
interconnects things.

What does it do really?

What real world products does it interconnect.

Steve Sobol

Roedy said:
What real world products does it interconnect.

Without doing a ton of research, my guess would be "products produced by
third parties" and "various parts of OpenOffice."

Roedy Green

Without doing a ton of research, my guess would be "products produced by
third parties" and "various parts of OpenOffice."

How idiotic to produce a product that has to be deeply studied before
you know what is even for.

Imagine if companies wrote similar computational material for
themselves. "It's creamy, its white, it contains surginol, and new
improved enzymatic energisers." Imagine a commercial for a floor wax
that left you unclear whether this stuff was for floors, furniture or
pets, or a dessert topping.

The Magpie

Roedy said:
How idiotic to produce a product that has to be deeply studied before
you know what is even for.

Imagine if companies wrote similar computational material for
themselves. "It's creamy, its white, it contains surginol, and new
improved enzymatic energisers." Imagine a commercial for a floor wax
that left you unclear whether this stuff was for floors, furniture or
pets, or a dessert topping.

Come on, guys - the usual thing for an SDK is that it is a "software
development kit" and what can you say about that? I guess, it would be
too obvious to say it allows you to write software that works with
OpenOffice, but what else can you say?

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,

The said:
Come on, guys - the usual thing for an SDK is that it is a "software
development kit" and what can you say about that? I guess, it would be
too obvious to say it allows you to write software that works with
OpenOffice, but what else can you say?

Well, I looked at the page as well, and I could not find out if it is
possible to generate an Open-Office-document with the SDK, or to remote
control an Open-Office-Application, or to integrate an
Open-Office-Editor in your Java-application, or ....

I must admit that I do not know it until now, although I'm interested in it!

Ciao,
Ingo

Steve Sobol

Roedy said:
How idiotic to produce a product that has to be deeply studied before
you know what is even for.

Come on, Roedy. It's an SDK. I have never, ever looked at any literature
regarding the OOo SDK, yet I was able to make what I believe is an accurate
guess as to the purpose of the SDK. It's designed to allow others to hook
into OOo. I don't understand the (apparent) confusion...