    a big download.

    Should I use C++ or java ?

    patrick

    patrick, Jan 27, 2007

  2. patrick

    Alan Johnson Guest

    patrick wrote:
    > Ive got an idea that Im going to develop into an application.
    > this will be a GUI type application which will be given away freely to users
    > to install on their PCs. The application interacts with other users on the
    > internet via SSL.
    >

    > The problem with java is still the 16MB ish download time. I only know java
    > myself but intend to get somebody else to develop it in C++ rather than have
    > a big download.
    >
    > Should I use C++ or java ?
    >
    > patrick

    This is answered in this group's FAQ. See:
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/big-picture.html#faq-6.5

    --
    Alan Johnson

    Alan Johnson, Jan 27, 2007

  3. patrick

    patrick Guest

    That faq doesnt even mention download time.
    It is only a silly handwaving answer.

    Download time for java is a huge business consideration
    (as well as a technical consideration)

    16MB would exclude all non broadband connected users from my download.
    To balance that java would need a lot of advantages over C++.

    patrick

    patrick, Jan 27, 2007
  4. On 2007-01-27 14:35, patrick wrote:
    > That faq doesnt even mention download time.
    > It is only a silly handwaving answer.
    >
    > Download time for java is a huge business consideration
    > (as well as a technical consideration)
    >
    > 16MB would exclude all non broadband connected users from my download.
    > To balance that java would need a lot of advantages over C++.

    So why are you asking us? If you're not gonna write the application
    yourself then I can't see a problem. Any language should do if you just
    find a good developer.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Jan 27, 2007
  5. patrick

    John Carson Guest

    "patrick" <> wrote in message
    > That faq doesnt even mention download time.
    > It is only a silly handwaving answer.

    It is a silly question. You will never get a worthwhile answer here. It
    depends too much on details specific to you and your application that no-one
    here will be in a position to evaluate. It also is a question on which
    opinions will differ widely. It is the rough equivalent of asking an
    international audience: Should I be a Christian, a Muslim or an Atheist?

    > Download time for java is a huge business consideration
    > (as well as a technical consideration)
    >
    > 16MB would exclude all non broadband connected users from my download.

    Actually, it wouldn't. It only takes about an hour and half to download that
    amount on dial-up. In any case, lots of computers come with Java
    preinstalled and it is legal to bundle the Java runtime with an application
    on a CD, so users may have already installed an application that came with
    Java.

    --
    John Carson

    John Carson, Jan 27, 2007
  6. patrick

    SpiralCorp Guest

    Re: java or C++ ??

    On Jan 27, 10:25 am, "John Carson"
    <> wrote:
    > "patrick" <> wrote in messagenews:azIuh.17685$
    >
    > > That faq doesnt even mention download time.
    > > It is only a silly handwaving answer.It is a silly question. You will never get a worthwhile answer here. It

    > depends too much on details specific to you and your application that no-one
    > here will be in a position to evaluate. It also is a question on which
    > opinions will differ widely. It is the rough equivalent of asking an
    > international audience: Should I be a Christian, a Muslim or an Atheist?
    >
    > > Download time for java is a huge business consideration
    > > (as well as a technical consideration)

    > > 16MB would exclude all non broadband connected users from my download.Actually, it wouldn't. It only takes about an hour and half to download that

    > amount on dial-up. In any case, lots of computers come with Java
    > preinstalled and it is legal to bundle the Java runtime with an application
    > on a CD, so users may have already installed an application that came with
    > Java.
    >
    > --
    > John Carson

    Sure, in theory it wouldn't. But a large chunk of the dial-up user
    base just wont wait for the download to be over. Thats not something
    you should dismiss so easily.

    Anyway, it seems you don't really have much of a choice. You only know
    Java so just go ahead and at least write prototype in that language.
    Hire another developer when the project takes off.

    ---
    SpiralCorp

    SpiralCorp, Jan 27, 2007