    help.

    thanks for your help

    john

    coltrane, Sep 25, 2006

  2. "coltrane" <> burped up warm pablum in

    > I am looking for someone who has run some of the examples in this book.
    > I cannot get one of the first projects to work. I keep gettting a stack
    > error running the ObjectCreationMonitoring example. I ( and others )
    > believe there is a recursion problem. The modification to the Object
    > class seems a little suspect. Also, changing the stack size did not
    > help.

    Sorry, I haven't read the book but if you post a small example someone
    will comment on it.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Tris Orendorff
    [Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?
    A: A purple Hayes.]

    Tris Orendorff, Sep 26, 2006

  3. coltrane

    coltrane Guest

    Tris Orendorff wrote:
    > "coltrane" <> burped up warm pablum in
    >
    > > I am looking for someone who has run some of the examples in this book.
    > > I cannot get one of the first projects to work. I keep gettting a stack
    > > error running the ObjectCreationMonitoring example. I ( and others )
    > > believe there is a recursion problem. The modification to the Object
    > > class seems a little suspect. Also, changing the stack size did not
    > > help.

    > Sorry, I haven't read the book but if you post a small example someone
    > will comment on it.
    >
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Tris Orendorff
    > [Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?
    > A: A purple Hayes.]

    Thanks for the response,

    Originally I was trying to get an object monitor to work. This required
    modifying the java.lang.Object class. When I ran this I received a
    stack error. So to test where the error occured I removed the
    monitoring app and replaced it with a simple hello world. Using the new
    Object I still recieved the stack error. Again to remove any reference
    to the monitoring code I removed the one line of code used for the
    Object Monitor. I replaced it with a System.out.println(...). I still
    received the error. So after all that, this is the additonal code I
    added to the Object class

    public Object(){
    this(true);
    System.out.println("java.lang.Object");
    }
    public Object(boolean b)

    What I have found is that if I do not use a class, something derived
    from Object, there is no problem. In other words, If I use:

    int x;
    x = 1 + 2

    there is no error. But if I use

    Integer x = 2;

    Boom! StackError.

    One last thing, I am invoking the app with the following command line

    java -Xbootclasspath/p:ObjectHack.jar;rt.jar tuning.HelloWorld

    (the java.lang.Object class is obviously in ObjectHack.jar)

    So that the deal.

    thanks again

    coltrane, Sep 27, 2006