"Java Performance Tuning Book" anyone read this book?

coltrane

I am looking for someone who has run some of the examples in this book.
I cannot get one of the first projects to work. I keep gettting a stack
error running the ObjectCreationMonitoring example. I ( and others )
believe there is a recursion problem. The modification to the Object
class seems a little suspect. Also, changing the stack size did not
help.

thanks for your help

john

Tris Orendorff

I am looking for someone who has run some of the examples in this book.
I cannot get one of the first projects to work. I keep gettting a stack
error running the ObjectCreationMonitoring example. I ( and others )
believe there is a recursion problem. The modification to the Object
class seems a little suspect. Also, changing the stack size did not
help.

Sorry, I haven't read the book but if you post a small example someone
will comment on it.

--
Sincerely,

Tris Orendorff
[Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?
A: A purple Hayes.]

coltrane

Tris said:
I am looking for someone who has run some of the examples in this book.
I cannot get one of the first projects to work. I keep gettting a stack
error running the ObjectCreationMonitoring example. I ( and others )
believe there is a recursion problem. The modification to the Object
class seems a little suspect. Also, changing the stack size did not
help.

Sorry, I haven't read the book but if you post a small example someone
will comment on it.

--
Sincerely,

Tris Orendorff
[Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?
A: A purple Hayes.]

Thanks for the response,

Originally I was trying to get an object monitor to work. This required
modifying the java.lang.Object class. When I ran this I received a
stack error. So to test where the error occured I removed the
monitoring app and replaced it with a simple hello world. Using the new
Object I still recieved the stack error. Again to remove any reference
to the monitoring code I removed the one line of code used for the
Object Monitor. I replaced it with a System.out.println(...). I still
received the error. So after all that, this is the additonal code I
added to the Object class
public Object(){
this(true);
System.out.println("java.lang.Object");
}
public Object(boolean b)
What I have found is that if I do not use a class, something derived
from Object, there is no problem. In other words, If I use:

int x;
x = 1 + 2

there is no error. But if I use

Integer x = 2;

Boom! StackError.

One last thing, I am invoking the app with the following command line

java -Xbootclasspath/p:ObjectHack.jar;rt.jar tuning.HelloWorld

(the java.lang.Object class is obviously in ObjectHack.jar)

So that the deal.

thanks again