    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    <!--
    Document : persistence.xml.xml
    Created on : March 15, 2008, 4:27 PM
    Author : kt
    Purpose of the document follows.
    -->

    <persistence>
    <persistence-unit name="EmployeeService" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
    <class>examples.model.Employee</class>
    <properties>
    <property name="toplink.jdbc.driver"
    value="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"/>
    <property name="toplink.jdbc.url"
    value="jdbc:derby:MyTestDb;create=true"/>
    <property name="toplink.jdbc.user" value="APP" />
    <property name="toplink.jdbc.password" value="APP" />
    </properties>
    </persistence-unit>
    </persistence>
    ----

    Here's the one Entity

    ----
    package javapersistence;

    import javax.persistence.*;

    @Entity
    public class Employee {
    @Id private int id;
    private String name;
    private long salary;

    public Employee() {}
    public Employee(int id) { this.id = id; }

    public int getId() { return id; }
    public void setId(int id) { this.id = id; }
    public String getName() { return name; }
    public void setName(String name) { this.name = name; }
    public long getSalary() { return salary; }
    public void setSalary(long salary) { this.salary = salary; }

    }
    -----

    And this is the stack trace I'm getting:

    ----
    Exception in thread "main" javax.persistence.PersistenceException: No Persistence provider for EntityManager named EmployeeService: Provider named oracle.toplink.essentials.PersistenceProvider threw unexpected exception at create EntityManagerFactory:
    oracle.toplink.essentials.exceptions.PersistenceUnitLoadingException
    Local Exception Stack:
    Exception [TOPLINK-30005] (Oracle TopLink Essentials - 2.0 (Build b58g-fcs (09/07/2007))): oracle.toplink.essentials.exceptions.PersistenceUnitLoadingException
    Exception Description: An exception was thrown while searching for persistence archives with ClassLoader: sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@17182c1
    Internal Exception: Exception [TOPLINK-30004] (Oracle TopLink Essentials - 2.0 (Build b58g-fcs (09/07/2007))): oracle.toplink.essentials.exceptions.PersistenceUnitLoadingException
    Exception Description: An exception was thrown while processing persistence.xml from URL: file:/home/kt/git/Learning/JavaPersistence/build/classes/
    Internal Exception:
    (1. cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration of element 'persistence'.)
    at oracle.toplink.essentials.exceptions.PersistenceUnitLoadingException.exceptionSearchingForPersistenceResources(PersistenceUnitLoadingException.java:143)
    at oracle.toplink.essentials.ejb.cmp3.EntityManagerFactoryProvider.createEntityManagerFactory(EntityManagerFactoryProvider.java:169)
    at javax.persistence.Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(Persistence.java:110)
    at javax.persistence.Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(Persistence.java:83)
    at javapersistence.EmployeeTest.main(EmployeeTest.java:18)
    Caused by: Exception [TOPLINK-30004] (Oracle TopLink Essentials - 2.0 (Build b58g-fcs (09/07/2007))): oracle.toplink.essentials.exceptions.PersistenceUnitLoadingException
    Exception Description: An exception was thrown while processing persistence.xml from URL: file:/home/kt/git/Learning/JavaPersistence/build/classes/
    Internal Exception:
    (1. cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration of element 'persistence'.)
    at oracle.toplink.essentials.exceptions.PersistenceUnitLoadingException.exceptionProcessingPersistenceXML(PersistenceUnitLoadingException.java:134)
    at oracle.toplink.essentials.ejb.cmp3.persistence.PersistenceUnitProcessor.processPersistenceXML(PersistenceUnitProcessor.java:161)
    at oracle.toplink.essentials.ejb.cmp3.persistence.PersistenceUnitProcessor.processPersistenceArchive(PersistenceUnitProcessor.java:99)
    at oracle.toplink.essentials.ejb.cmp3.persistence.PersistenceUnitProcessor.getPersistenceUnits(PersistenceUnitProcessor.java:89)
    at oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.JavaSECMPInitializer.initPersistenceUnits(JavaSECMPInitializer.java:236)
    at oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.JavaSECMPInitializer.initialize(JavaSECMPInitializer.java:255)
    at oracle.toplink.essentials.ejb.cmp3.EntityManagerFactoryProvider.createEntityManagerFactory(EntityManagerFactoryProvider.java:155)
    ... 3 more
    Caused by:
    (1. cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration of element 'persistence'.)
    at oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.xml.parser.XMLExceptionHandler.error(XMLExceptionHandler.java:52)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.error(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:134)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:384)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:318)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.handleStartElement(XMLSchemaValidator.java:1887)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.startElement(XMLSchemaValidator.java:685)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:400)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl$NSContentDriver.scanRootElementHook(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:626)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:3088)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$PrologDriver.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:914)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:647)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:140)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:508)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:807)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:737)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:107)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1205)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:522)
    at oracle.toplink.essentials.ejb.cmp3.persistence.PersistenceUnitProcessor.processPersistenceXML(PersistenceUnitProcessor.java:151)
    ... 8 more

    Provider named oracle.toplink.essentials.ejb.cmp3.EntityManagerFactoryProvider threw unexpected exception at create EntityManagerFactory:
[...]

    at javax.persistence.Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(Persistence.java:154)

    --
    Kenneth P. Turvey <>

    Kenneth P. Turvey, Mar 15, 2008

  2. Kenneth P. Turvey

    CK Guest

    Words to the wise, "Kenneth P. Turvey" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to work through the book "Pro EJB 3 - Java Persistence API"
    >(don't buy it), but I'm having some difficulty getting things to work
    >here. I'm just trying to use the derby embedded database and the
    >glassfish implementation of the JPA, as I think is being done in the book.

    >Unfortunately, I'm getting a stack trace when I try to run the code.
    >
    >I have no idea what I'm doing with all this, so if you have any pointers,
    >I would greatly appreciate it. I don't know how this book is going to
    >help if I can't get the first example running.
    >

    >Here's my persistence.xml file:
    >
    >---
    ><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    >
    ><!--
    > Document : persistence.xml.xml

    persistence.xml.xml? Is the name of the file really that?

    > Created on : March 15, 2008, 4:27 PM
    > Author : kt
    > Purpose of the document follows.
    >-->
    >
    ><persistence>

    I think you need to add something there:
    xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence"
    http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd"

    At least that is how I read the stacktrace. What I mentioned below are
    is plain guess work.

    > <persistence-unit name="EmployeeService" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
    > <class>examples.model.Employee</class>
    > <properties>
    > <property name="toplink.jdbc.driver"
    > value="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"/>
    > <property name="toplink.jdbc.url"
    > value="jdbc:derby:MyTestDb;create=true"/>

    Did you specify myTestDb as Datasource in glassfish?

    > <property name="toplink.jdbc.user" value="APP" />
    > <property name="toplink.jdbc.password" value="APP" />
    > </properties>
    > </persistence-unit>
    ></persistence>

    Also, there is no datasource here, although I do not know whether you
    actually need one when using the embedded derby db.

    Oh, and does the database scheme exist already? I think you need to
    create the scheme the tables and so on are created for you, but I
    cannot say for sure.

    Hope this helps, please report back if it does and also if it does
    not.
    --
    Claus Dragon <>
    =(UDIC)=

    - Me, lately.

    CK, Mar 15, 2008

  3. On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 00:53:01 +0100, CK wrote:

    > Also, there is no datasource here, although I do not know whether you
    > actually need one when using the embedded derby db.
    >
    > Oh, and does the database scheme exist already? I think you need to
    > create the scheme the tables and so on are created for you, but I
    > cannot say for sure.
    >
    > Hope this helps, please report back if it does and also if it does
    > not.

    I got it working. I actually tried to cancel this post, but it was
    already out the door.

    Anyway, your post was helpful. I got the system to create the schema for
    me. The file is actually quite close to what was necessary. The problems
    were mainly in the XML file above. I'll post the result here so that it
    goes to the search engines.

    This gets things working with Glassfish and Derby.

    Thanks!

    -----
    <persistence version="1.0" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence">
    <persistence-unit name="EmployeeService" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
    <provider>oracle.toplink.essentials.ejb.cmp3.EntityManagerFactoryProvider</provider>
    <class>javapersistence.Employee</class>
    <properties>
    <property name="toplink.jdbc.driver"
    value="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"/>
    <property name="toplink.jdbc.url"
    value="jdbc:derby:MyTestDb;create=true"/>
    <property name="toplink.jdbc.user" value="APP" />
    <property name="toplink.jdbc.password" value="APP" />

    <!-- Java2DB properties, creates the tables -->
    <property name="toplink.ddl-generation" value="create-tables" />
    </properties>
    </persistence-unit>
    </persistence>
    -----