Java, PHP and dotNet

ronny.meeus

Hello,
there are currenly a lot of technologies existing do build Web
applications, e.g. PHP, Java, DotNet, Ruby (on Rails), Python etc.

If I look on the other hand to the web space providing companies I see
most of them supporting only PHP and MySQL. If I want to go to a Java
Application server, for example Tomcat, it is not so easy to find and I
have to pay at lot more.

So my basic conclusions are:
- PHP is superior for most web applications.
- The rest of the technologies described before are to be used either
by:
big companies with their own servers and/or a lot of money
intranets
doing some playing/experimenting at home

Please comment.

Ronny

Oliver Wong

Hello,
there are currenly a lot of technologies existing do build Web
applications, e.g. PHP, Java, DotNet, Ruby (on Rails), Python etc.

If I look on the other hand to the web space providing companies I see
most of them supporting only PHP and MySQL. If I want to go to a Java
Application server, for example Tomcat, it is not so easy to find and I
have to pay at lot more.

So my basic conclusions are:
- PHP is superior for most web applications.
- The rest of the technologies described before are to be used either
by:
big companies with their own servers and/or a lot of money
intranets
doing some playing/experimenting at home

Please comment.

(1) It does not logically follow that something cheap and abundant is
nescessarily superior than something expensive and rare.
(2) PHP is IMHO a forked language: PHP5 is not backwards compatible with
PHP4. Many hosting companies will provide PHP4 servers, but few provide PHP5
servers.
(3) "Most web applications" and "doing some playing/experimenting at
home" probably has significant overlap.

- Oliver

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

- PHP is superior for most web applications.

Well, it's simpler at least. Add many of the mature web technologies
for the other two (like JSF, ASP.Net), and they will beat PHP for
anything other than toy projects - so I think you have their roles
reversed. :)

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

there are currenly a lot of technologies existing do build Web
applications, e.g. PHP, Java, DotNet, Ruby (on Rails), Python etc.

If I look on the other hand to the web space providing companies I see
most of them supporting only PHP and MySQL. If I want to go to a Java
Application server, for example Tomcat, it is not so easy to find and I
have to pay at lot more.

So my basic conclusions are:
- PHP is superior for most web applications.
- The rest of the technologies described before are to be used either
by:
big companies with their own servers and/or a lot of money
intranets
doing some playing/experimenting at home

Java and ASP.NET have a rather steep learning curve and
are mostly geared towards IT professionals.

PHP and ASP are easier for non programmers.

This makes the market for PHP much bigger than
the market for JSP.

And most web hotels goes after the big market.

Furthermore PHP has a lot good free ready to run
apps which also adds to its popularity.

So your first dash is not true unless you define
superior=easy.

Your second dash is more or less true.

Arne

kevin cline

Hello,
there are currenly a lot of technologies existing do build Web
applications, e.g. PHP, Java, DotNet, Ruby (on Rails), Python etc.

If I look on the other hand to the web space providing companies I see
most of them supporting only PHP and MySQL. If I want to go to a Java
Application server, for example Tomcat, it is not so easy to find and I
have to pay at lot more.

So my basic conclusions are:
- PHP is superior for most web applications.
Please comment.

For most development projects, the cost of writing and maintaining the
code overwhelms the cost of running code. Therefore the best language
for a development project is almost always the language that allows the
solution to be written with the least code.

Steven J. Sobol

Hello,
there are currenly a lot of technologies existing do build Web
applications, e.g. PHP, Java, DotNet, Ruby (on Rails), Python etc.

If I look on the other hand to the web space providing companies I see
most of them supporting only PHP and MySQL. If I want to go to a Java
Application server, for example Tomcat, it is not so easy to find and I
have to pay at lot more.

Not necessarily true, you just have to look harder...
So my basic conclusions are:
- PHP is superior for most web applications.

I love PHP, but this is not necessarily true. It's just more popular, and
in many cases easier to work with.

Have you googled "java hosting" ?

Thomas Weidenfeller

So my basic conclusions are:
- PHP is superior for most web applications.
- The rest of the technologies described before are to be used either
by:
big companies with their own servers and/or a lot of money
intranets
doing some playing/experimenting at home

Please comment.

Could you please move your language advocacy to an advocacy group?

David Segall

Hello,
there are currenly a lot of technologies existing do build Web
applications, e.g. PHP, Java, DotNet, Ruby (on Rails), Python etc.

If I look on the other hand to the web space providing companies I see
most of them supporting only PHP and MySQL. If I want to go to a Java
Application server, for example Tomcat, it is not so easy to find and I
have to pay at lot more.

So my basic conclusions are:
- PHP is superior for most web applications.
- The rest of the technologies described before are to be used either
by:
big companies with their own servers and/or a lot of money
intranets
doing some playing/experimenting at home
You have failed to tell us what you really want to do. If you are
arguing that PHP and MySQL are the most popular, and therefore often
the cheapest, web server hosting combination you already know you are
right.

However, if you want to include the cost of writing the application
then you may like to examine ASP and JSP tools here
<http://webdevelopment.profectus.com.au/ee_programming_webdevelopment.html>.
If you visit then you will be going to a site where the _only_ cost on
top of my standard Internet access fee is to register the domain name.
The server happens to be Tomcat but I could change it to an ASP and/or
J2EE server.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

kevin said:
For most development projects, the cost of writing and maintaining the
code overwhelms the cost of running code. Therefore the best language
for a development project is almost always the language that allows the
solution to be written with the least code.

Most important: easy to maintain.

Easy to maintain does not always mean the least code.

Arne