    Ray

    --
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    Raymond DeCampo, Mar 4, 2006

  2. Raymond DeCampo wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Recently I have been getting back into applet development and I was
    > surprised to see that the Google toolbar is now bundled with the JRE.
    > Worse still, it is checked to be installed by default.
    >
    > Does anybody know of the link to use in the codebase attribute of the
    > <OBJECT> tag to point to a Google toolbar free download for the Java 5
    > plug in? (For that matter, does anybody have a list of usable values
    > for that field?)
    >
    > Another good solution would be to find a redistributable, plug-in
    > auto-installer without the Google toolbar to be placed on the site with
    > the applet. Any ideas there?
    >
    > Ray

    Anybody?

    Ray

    --
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    Raymond DeCampo, Mar 7, 2006

  3. Raymond DeCampo

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Raymond DeCampo wrote:

    > Recently I have been getting back into applet development and I was
    > surprised to see that the Google toolbar is now bundled with the JRE.
    > Worse still, it is checked to be installed by default.

    I can't help with your problem. I just wanted to agree that bundling Google
    crap is an unreasonable thing to do.

    Ugh!

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Raymond DeCampo

    Stefan Ram Guest

    "Chris Uppal" <-THIS.org> writes:
    >>Recently I have been getting back into applet development and
    >>I was surprised to see that the Google toolbar is now bundled
    >>with the JRE. Worse still, it is checked to be installed by
    >>default.

    >I can't help with your problem. I just wanted to agree that
    >bundling Google crap is an unreasonable thing to do.

    Only recently I wrote about how easy it is for end users to
    install the JRE and I recommended to use Java for general
    application software projects. I now need to reconsider this
    assessment.
    Stefan Ram, Mar 8, 2006
  5. Raymond DeCampo

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 19:49:08 GMT, Raymond DeCampo
    said :

    >Recently I have been getting back into applet development and I was
    >surprised to see that the Google toolbar is now bundled with the JRE.
    >Worse still, it is checked to be installed by default.

    Where did you see this? I don't recall it in the beta install. It
    seems an odd thing to do since the products are unrelated.

    It is an system of checks and balances. Google has power over browser
    makers. So Sun is making an alliance with Google?

    Why else would Google be promoting a free Firefox if not to gain clout
    over MS?
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Mar 8, 2006
  6. Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 19:49:08 GMT, Raymond DeCampo
    > said :
    >

    >>Recently I have been getting back into applet development and I was
    >>surprised to see that the Google toolbar is now bundled with the JRE.
    >>Worse still, it is checked to be installed by default.

    > Where did you see this? I don't recall it in the beta install. It
    > seems an odd thing to do since the products are unrelated.
    >
    > It is an system of checks and balances. Google has power over browser
    > makers. So Sun is making an alliance with Google?
    >
    > Why else would Google be promoting a free Firefox if not to gain clout
    > over MS?

    It happened in October 2005:

    <http://weblogs.java.net/blog/robogeek/archive/2005/10/jre_google_tool.html>

    Anybody have a contact we can send our opinion to? Perhaps somebody
    would be willing to sponsor an online petition...

    Ray

    --
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    Raymond DeCampo, Mar 9, 2006
  7. Raymond DeCampo

    Stefan Ram Guest

    Raymond DeCampo <> writes:
    >Anybody have a contact we can send our opinion to? Perhaps somebody
    >would be willing to sponsor an online petition...

    I found this on the web:

    »Some of our services, including Google Toolbar and Google
    Web Accelerator, send the uniform resource locators
    ("URLs") of web pages that you request to Google. When you
    use these services, Google will receive and store the URL
    sent by the web sites you visit, including any personal
    information inserted into those URLs by the web site
    operator. (...) When the URL is transmitted to Google, our
    servers automatically store the URL, including any
    personal information that has been embedded after the
    question mark.«

    http://www.google.com/privacy_faq.html

    So now a vendor of Java software is supposed to recommend to
    his customers to install the JRE and thereby take some
    responsibility for the installation of a software that acts as
    being described above?
    Stefan Ram, Mar 9, 2006
  8. Chris Uppal <-THIS.org> wrote in message
    > Raymond DeCampo wrote:
    >
    > > Recently I have been getting back into applet development and I was
    > > surprised to see that the Google toolbar is now bundled with the JRE.
    > > Worse still, it is checked to be installed by default.

    Down with Google - run -em out on an i-beam.

    James Snow, Software Developer, Mar 11, 2006