Java plug-in download and the Google toolbar

Raymond DeCampo

Hello,

Recently I have been getting back into applet development and I was
surprised to see that the Google toolbar is now bundled with the JRE.
Worse still, it is checked to be installed by default.

Does anybody know of the link to use in the codebase attribute of the
<OBJECT> tag to point to a Google toolbar free download for the Java 5
plug in? (For that matter, does anybody have a list of usable values
for that field?)

Another good solution would be to find a redistributable, plug-in
auto-installer without the Google toolbar to be placed on the site with
the applet. Any ideas there?

Ray

Chris Uppal

Raymond said:
Recently I have been getting back into applet development and I was
surprised to see that the Google toolbar is now bundled with the JRE.
Worse still, it is checked to be installed by default.

I can't help with your problem. I just wanted to agree that bundling Google
crap is an unreasonable thing to do.

Ugh!

-- chris

Stefan Ram

Chris Uppal said:
I can't help with your problem. I just wanted to agree that
bundling Google crap is an unreasonable thing to do.

Only recently I wrote about how easy it is for end users to
install the JRE and I recommended to use Java for general
application software projects. I now need to reconsider this
assessment.

Roedy Green

Recently I have been getting back into applet development and I was
surprised to see that the Google toolbar is now bundled with the JRE.
Worse still, it is checked to be installed by default.

Where did you see this? I don't recall it in the beta install. It
seems an odd thing to do since the products are unrelated.

It is an system of checks and balances. Google has power over browser
makers. So Sun is making an alliance with Google?

Why else would Google be promoting a free Firefox if not to gain clout
over MS?

Raymond DeCampo

Roedy said:
Where did you see this? I don't recall it in the beta install. It
seems an odd thing to do since the products are unrelated.

It is an system of checks and balances. Google has power over browser
makers. So Sun is making an alliance with Google?

Why else would Google be promoting a free Firefox if not to gain clout
over MS?

It happened in October 2005:

<http://weblogs.java.net/blog/robogeek/archive/2005/10/jre_google_tool.html>

Anybody have a contact we can send our opinion to? Perhaps somebody
would be willing to sponsor an online petition...

Ray

Stefan Ram

Raymond DeCampo said:
Anybody have a contact we can send our opinion to? Perhaps somebody
would be willing to sponsor an online petition...

I found this on the web:

»Some of our services, including Google Toolbar and Google
Web Accelerator, send the uniform resource locators
("URLs") of web pages that you request to Google. When you
use these services, Google will receive and store the URL
sent by the web sites you visit, including any personal
information inserted into those URLs by the web site
operator. (...) When the URL is transmitted to Google, our
servers automatically store the URL, including any
personal information that has been embedded after the
question mark.«

http://www.google.com/privacy_faq.html

So now a vendor of Java software is supposed to recommend to
his customers to install the JRE and thereby take some
responsibility for the installation of a software that acts as
being described above?