Java plugin for Firefox?

Rhino

I've been having some trouble with an applet written for Java 1.5 and would
appreciate some guidance on getting it to work in Firefox.

Until a few minutes ago, I was running Firefox Preview 1.0 and when I tried
my JApplet there, I got a "plugin required" message in the applet area
beneath something that looked like a jigsaw puzzle piece. When I clicked on
that icon to download the plugin, I quickly got a "no suitable plugin"
result from the Firefox plugin manager. On the theory that this version of
Firefox couldn't handle newer Java plugins, i.e. post-Java 1.4, I just
downloaded and installed Firefox 1.5, which appears to be the latest and
greatest version. Now, when I go the page that displays the applet and click
on the puzzle icon, I get a message that no suitable plugin was found but I
also get a button offering me the chance to do a manual install of a plugin.
I gave that a try and told it to install the latest version and the
download/install seemed to work. However, when I go to the web page
containing my applet, I still get the puzzle icon rather than my applet in
the applet area.

What's the deal here? It seems as if nothing I do actually gets the plugin
installed. Is there a trick I need to know?

Rhino

Mickey Segal said:
Have you tried downloading and installing Sun's Java from
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp?
I already have that on my system; it's been there for several weeks. But how
does that help me? Firefox is looking for the Java plugin in its plugin
directory isn't it? How will the copy on my D: drive help with that unless
there is some way of telling Firefox to look for the JRE there....

Sorry, that feels like a dumb question somehow. I'm afraid I haven't done an
applet in at least a year now and my memory of how the browser plugins is
fuzzy.

Rhino

Mickey Segal

Rhino said:
I already have that on my system; it's been there for several weeks. But
how does that help me? Firefox is looking for the Java plugin in its
plugin directory isn't it? How will the copy on my D: drive help with that
unless there is some way of telling Firefox to look for the JRE there....

If you are running Windows you should be able to look in the Java Control
Panel under the Advanced tab and under "Default Java for browsers" make sure
Mozilla family is checked.

Rhino

Mickey Segal said:
If you are running Windows you should be able to look in the Java Control
Panel under the Advanced tab and under "Default Java for browsers" make
sure Mozilla family is checked.
I've just looked carefully and I don't see an Advanced tab, let alone a Java
Control Panel in Firefox 1.5. And I _am_ running on Windows (XP Pro with
SP2). The only thing even vaguely like what you describe is
Tools/Options/Advanced but there is no "default Java for browsers" under any
of its three tabs.

I think I've got the newest version of Firefox; is it possible that the
settings you describe are not available in my version?

Roedy Green

What's the deal here? It seems as if nothing I do actually gets the plugin
installed. Is there a trick I need to know?

Go into the Java control panel and make sure you have applets enabled
in firefox.

I have not tried the preview version, but it works fine in the release
version.

Roedy Green

I've just looked carefully and I don't see an Advanced tab, let alone a Java
Control Panel in Firefox 1.5

You can't control this from within the Netscape family of browsers.
You have to go into start, control panel, java control panel,
advanced.

Thomas Fritsch

Rhino said:
I've just looked carefully and I don't see an Advanced tab, let alone a
Java Control Panel in Firefox 1.5. And I _am_ running on Windows (XP Pro
with SP2). The only thing even vaguely like what you describe is
Tools/Options/Advanced but there is no "default Java for browsers" under
any of its three tabs.
The "Java Control Panel" is not part of Firefox. Instead it is part of Sun's
Java, and it is installed where all the other Windows control panels are (as
a *.cpl file in directory C:\Windows\systems32). Just open
Start -> Control Panel
and select the Java-icon there.

Mickey Segal

Rhino said:
I've just looked carefully and I don't see an Advanced tab, let alone a
Java Control Panel in Firefox 1.5.

Roedy Green got to this before I did, but I meant the Windows Control Panel
that controls Java in all browsers.

Rhino

Mickey Segal said:
Roedy Green got to this before I did, but I meant the Windows Control
Panel that controls Java in all browsers.
Of course! Yes, I should have realized that's what you meant! For some
reason, I assumed you were talking about a panel within Firefox....

Sorry for being so dense.

Oliver Wong

Rhino said:
I've just looked carefully and I don't see an Advanced tab, let alone a
Java Control Panel in Firefox 1.5. And I _am_ running on Windows (XP Pro
with SP2). The only thing even vaguely like what you describe is
Tools/Options/Advanced but there is no "default Java for browsers" under
any of its three tabs.

I think I've got the newest version of Firefox; is it possible that the
settings you describe are not available in my version?

I think Mickey means the Windows XP Control panel, not some menu item in
Firefox.

- Oliver