Java process profiling for CPU usage

OtisUsenet

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what's causing the load (of 3, 4, 5, and
higher) on my server (Jetty, webapp, JDK 1.5_09) and wondering what the
best way to do it is on a production server. In other words, which
tool imposes the least overhead for this type of thing?

But here is the interesting part that is a mystery to me:
While the load on the server is high, and it is clearly related to the
webapp that runs there, the Java process itself shows 0% CPU use when
viewed with top! Any idea why that is? This is running under Linux,
Fedora Core 3, with 2.6.9-1.667 kernel.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Nirav

OtisUsenet said:
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what's causing the load (of 3, 4, 5, and
higher) on my server (Jetty, webapp, JDK 1.5_09) and wondering what the
best way to do it is on a production server. In other words, which
tool imposes the least overhead for this type of thing?

But here is the interesting part that is a mystery to me:
While the load on the server is high, and it is clearly related to the
webapp that runs there, the Java process itself shows 0% CPU use when
viewed with top! Any idea why that is? This is running under Linux,
Fedora Core 3, with 2.6.9-1.667 kernel.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you!

You might want to check loadaverage. If your app invovles DB
operations, Check if they are waiting for response. You may also want
to check the I/O and your kernel modules for same.

Why not post nature of your application, what it does?

You can also use jconsole to monitor VM activities.

- Nirav Thaker

Daniel Pitts

OtisUsenet said:
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what's causing the load (of 3, 4, 5, and
higher) on my server (Jetty, webapp, JDK 1.5_09) and wondering what the
best way to do it is on a production server. In other words, which
tool imposes the least overhead for this type of thing?

But here is the interesting part that is a mystery to me:
While the load on the server is high, and it is clearly related to the
webapp that runs there, the Java process itself shows 0% CPU use when
viewed with top! Any idea why that is? This is running under Linux,
Fedora Core 3, with 2.6.9-1.667 kernel.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you!
It would be helpful to know what processes AREN'T at 0% CPU use.

Tom Forsmo

OtisUsenet said:
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what's causing the load (of 3, 4, 5, and
higher) on my server (Jetty, webapp, JDK 1.5_09) and wondering what the
best way to do it is on a production server. In other words, which
tool imposes the least overhead for this type of thing?

But here is the interesting part that is a mystery to me:
While the load on the server is high, and it is clearly related to the
webapp that runs there, the Java process itself shows 0% CPU use when
viewed with top! Any idea why that is? This is running under Linux,
Fedora Core 3, with 2.6.9-1.667 kernel.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you!

You could try to use iostat, vmstat and ps to figure out what proceess
is using resources, how it is being used to to what purpose.

tom