    If there is no such thing, then I'll have to roll my own. But better to
    check first, don't wan't to reinvent stuff. :) Google didn't turn out
    anything. ..

    Aleksi Kallio, Aug 29, 2003

  2. On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:51:21 +0300, Aleksi Kallio wrote:
    > I need a component that takes a String and puts it into Unix process
    > table by calling natively setproctitle. On Windows it can do
    > nothing, I don't care.

    You can't do this kind of thing in pure Java, as you probably already
    realize. It should be trivial to write one using a native method
    though.

    > Also a possibility to use variables such as number_of_threads would
    > be cool.
    >
    > Why? When running a lot of Java server stuff on a Linux box it's
    > really hard to tell which process is which. Especially in production
    > environment "kill -9":ing makes me always feel quite
    > uncomfortable...

    As it should. Normally you should only need to use SIGKILL (i.e. 9)
    for processes that are truly stuck and unresposive to SIGHUP, SIGINT,
    SIGQUIT or SIGTERM. Give them a chance to terminate cleanly.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Aug 29, 2003